engine mounts

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
I keep tearing out the stock motor mounts, so I want to make some. Need some ideas. If you have some you have made or have had made, show me some pics please.

Stock motor mounts in what ?

The van? The Jeep? the Pinto ?

I'm using the GM "clam shell" type mounts, that are basically encased and can't fail. The rubber may get all mushed or oil soaked over time, but your motor can't flop out.. Look up any GM car/truck late 80s-current.. '85 monte carlo would be a good look up for the store..

pm me if your interested in a set of these they are new old stock for a deutz diesel deffinately handle a sb chebby

Attachments

• engine mount deutz diesel.jpg
    engine mount deutz diesel.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 218
Just make sure your engine and transmission/transfer case mounts have a similar amount of give...

I kept tearing up the D.side mount... and subsequently taking out the P.side mount. I did NOT want to run anything I couldn't find in AutoZoo, so... I finally installed a short chunk of 1/4" welded link chain...ran it from the block (longer bolt in the D.side mount) down under the frame to where the the frame mount bolts...

Just enough slack that the rubber clad mount still allows movement/dampening, but restrains it from over-torquing and pulling the rubber apart. It was cheap and has worked well for the past 3 years (was averaging a D.side mount every 3-4trips prior to that)

I kept tearing up the D.side mount... and subsequently taking out the P.side mount. I did NOT want to run anything I couldn't find in AutoZoo, so... I finally installed a short chunk of 1/4" welded link chain...ran it from the block (longer bolt in the D.side mount) down under the frame to where the the frame mount bolts...

Just enough slack that the rubber clad mount still allows movement/dampening, but restrains it from over-torquing and pulling the rubber apart. It was cheap and has worked well for the past 3 years (was averaging a D.side mount every 3-4trips prior to that)

You can buy 1.5" od wrangler leaf spring bushings more places than you can find a typical motor mount...

Just copy what everyone else does and use a round bushing. Cheap, easy, lasts longer, and if it gives up..your engine is still secured.
I'm sure you have some chip, but if not, I've got some 1.5" sch80 and big end wrangler bushings in the garage for just this purpose.

Stock motor mounts in what ?

The van? The Jeep? the Pinto ?
The Pinto is part of History now LOL But I am refering to My Jeep.

pm me if your interested in a set of these they are new old stock for a deutz diesel deffinately handle a sb chebby
Maybe I am blind, those don't make sense to me

Just make sure your engine and transmission/transfer case mounts have a similar amount of give...
Right now it's just gonna be the engine mounts. After the Fun Caravan, I will be putting the doubler in so there will be new mounts going in there as well. And yes, I was planning on using basically the same mounts for both.

Couple of pics of what I did to beef my stock motor mounts up in this thread. Seems to be working good after 6 trips.
the 2.5 mounts appear to be a lot different than my 360 mounts, but something along that (your pic) is what I am thinking about.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25221

But Dave, it takes you a couple years to go on that many rides! :flipoff2:

You can buy 1.5" od wrangler leaf spring bushings more places than you can find a typical motor mount...
Just copy what everyone else does and use a round bushing. Cheap, easy, lasts longer, and if it gives up..your engine is still secured.
I'm sure you have some chip, but if not, I've got some 1.5" sch80 and big end wrangler bushings in the garage for just this purpose.

Might hit ya up for that. If ya don't mind, PM me a number and a good time to call and I will try to get up with ya

Two schools of thought...

The solid mounts we used (The Stock Car Products link)...Ya break blocks before these mounts break! Never seen one break.

... I did NOT want to run anything I couldn't find in AutoZoo, so... I finally installed a short chunk of 1/4" welded link chain...

Yes...If ya wanna be able to fix anywhere locally...this is a great idea!

Heck, after 1967, and before the captive type, Chevrolet copied this idea with cables cuz their non-captive motormounts kept breakin!!

Come to think of it, the captives Yager mentioned would satify the "local fix" and although you could maybe destroy the rubber, the motor isnt comin loose!

Back