Engine Reseal in Raleigh

shelby27604

I pulled a 454 Vortec out of a suburban, the engine is going into my crew cab. Oil pressure and compression checked good, but she leaks, I don't currently have the time or space to dig into this.

Anyone have any good recommendations for places / people to get a complete reseal done? I have a fresh set of heads sitting on the shelf that I would probably throw on there just for good measure.

I think you might run into that problem from most places since they may see it as a huge risk for you to put it back in and something screwy happen and you come back saying they screwed up your engine.

But that could easily be avoided if you signed something saying you confirm this to be a good engine and they are only changing the gaskets and nothing mechanical. Maybe that’s an option?

Side note: I swapped a motor from a trashed ZJ into my XJ. It was a good motor but had leaks. I called Kannapolis Engine repair and ordered a set of Enginetech gaskets. It didn’t take much time at all to replaced the front & rear mains, oil pan, valve cover, and O-rings on the distributor. You’re pretty much already there anyway if you’re swapping the motor. I didn’t bother with the water pump or head gasket or any of that, just the main gaskets. It never leaked a drop. I’d consider going that route, might add an extra hour to your swap.

Back