Engine swap and vehicle inspections

Whoknows

I'm toying with ideas of swapping out my motor in the next few years. It is a 1983 3/4ton Suburban. It has a 350 and 700R4 tranny. I was thinking about putting in a Caddy 500 and 4L80E.
My question is whether this is legal in NC or not. I've had little luck finding much info on the web. If it was a newer motor I wouldn't be worried. I'm just wondering how inspections would work since the caddy engines are older than my truck.

If the motor is at least the year of the truck or newer, its legal. If the mill is newer, it must have the emissions gear from the motor, same year, emissions gear from the truck. Back dating to no cats for example is not legal. If you go foward to something without EGR, its legal. Just have the documentation for the motor.

However, sniff test emissions are going away for the most part. Anything pre 96 might be a free for all. I know DMV told my I could drop the diesel in the runner if I wanted after Jan 1st and be legal.

There's the problem, they stopped making that engine before 83. Since thats the case it won't be legal right?
By the way the suburban doesn't have a catalytic converter since its 3/4ton.
I also had read something about vehicles over 25 years old are exempt from some testing, not sure what is was though. All help is appreciated. Thanks

Sniffer only on the ones from 95 and newer is what I have been told. Inspection is waived if it is 35 years old or older. Not sure about all the other stuff. I know I run pane, and asked my inspection guy, he said no problem since it asks what fuel on the putor while inspecting. So with my pane, there is no need for any emission pumps and so on or Cat.

I guess if the state won't let me I could always do a 454 or diesel swap. I'm just weighing my options and have always like the big block cadillac engines.

Yeah, I was also looking at the cost factor. A cummins swap would be ideal but is out of the question. Anyone have opinions of the 6.2. I figure it would be an easy swap and I know Banks makes a turbo for it.

AV8 said:
I guess if the state won't let me I could always do a 454 or diesel swap. I'm just weighing my options and have always like the big block cadillac engines.

Call DMV enforcement, speak to a inspector. Odds are your county will be dropping sniff tests as well. If thats the case, it would be legal as long as you have the equipment that the truck came with in place.

We are dropping the sniff test here next year! Believe me, I'm excited. As far as the swap, by the time you get done with it, you'll probably have nothing to worry about. It'll be safety only by then. However, most inspectors don't really check what motor it is anyway. As long as it passes the emissions for the vehicle it's installed in, most will let it pass. You could get by with an older motor that way, too.

I did the North Carolina inspections a few years ago. 96 and higher get the OBD or sniff test. Anything lower gets the standard safety test. Now there is a book that they go by that list all the emission equipment that each car or truck should have (EGR, CAt, Air pump, ect). I think you could get away with it. I know I did it. I put a 360 out a jeep wagoneer and put it into a 79 cj. I just made sure it had the cats on it and the EGR vavle. I think its ok as long as you have the right emission equipment on it for the year of the motor. I think Ratman is right. I would call your local chief inpector. I think you can do it.
Jason

Just my .02 but if you are going to build something make it legal for the smog for all 50 States I know it is a PITA but if you ever move out of NC then you will be glad you did. There are plenty of good options out there and you can run EFI instead of a CARB. NC is a piece of cake to pass smog other states are a PITA. the rule of thumb is Same year or newer and all the Smog equiment must be in place for the year of the doner engine. This is what I did on my truck and I am glad I did, becuase I will never have to worrie.

How would you control that 4l80e???

Ok, after Jan 1, 06 anything 96 and newer will get the OBD test. EVERYTHING 95 and older will get a safety only. Yaaay! (Every inspector that has ever done the sniffer test is happy about this.) Part of safety is to check to see if it has the emission equipment installed. (Belt must be on the air pump is it has one). You will be fine swaping the caddy engine in if it has all the emission equipment for that engine. Heck, use 'pane and get rid of all the emission stuff too!

I've never had to have a sniffer test on it. They always flip out when they see the dual exhaust with no CAT though. I'll explain to them that it wasn't equipped with one but they don't believe me till they find it in their book. It's always fun getting an inspection, thats why I want to make sure the Caddy swap would be legal. I don't want to spend thousands of $'s just to find out I can't drive the thing. I still have a year or so before I get serious about it so I'll stay alert to any changes the state makes.

When you mention "pane" what are you reffering to? Propane? What is the benefit of this?

AV8 said:
When you mention "pane" what are you reffering to? Propane? What is the benefit of this?

Yea, 'pane is propane and if you go to that it becomes a much cleaner burning vehicle and I believe they inspect it differently. Not sure about this Rich will probably know since his FJ is on propane. (The engine will also run upside down without stalling.) (Till the bearing sieze from lack of oil.) Point is you won't have to worry about the engine stalling out on steep hills.

actually if an inpsector wants to, he can and will fail you for a motor swap, I work at Honda and all of our inspectors had to go to school again last weekend... They were telling me all about this stuff since im swapping a VW into mine... You can be failed on a visual inspection for a motor swap if the motor does not appear to be stock... Apparently these are rules that will be coming up in the next few months, even in out non-sniff test county (watauga)... Def talk to a really tough inspector in your area to know exactly what you need to do...

Yeah, after thinking about it I may just try and find a 454 or build a 383. The Caddy idea would be cool but it sounds like a lot of trouble. Thanks for the info.

stay away from the 6.2... not very strong and it breaks cranks way too often

Back