Engine swap

Rdeang

New here so bare with me I have a 1995 cherokee blown engine and I have a chance to get a 2001 running cherokee there both 4.0l can I swap them out

Thank you

iirc one is a distributor motor and the other is coil pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just pass on the 01. It has the 0331 head known for cracking. And it has a coil rail vs distributor. It can be done by swapping in the distributor but some of the wholes for your accessories are slightly different. All that is solvable, but the 0331 head is a major issue if you google Jeep 0331 head there’s days worth of reading about it.

I had a 2000 model and actually swapped in a 97 motor to get away from that head.

Shooting from the hip here, I think you need a 91-95 4.0l for the best chance of everything bolting up and all connectors being the same. If your willing to mix n match, it opens up quite a bit. As mentioned before, I’d stay away from 2000-01.
I’ve had and swapped parts between my XJs, 1990, 91, 95 & 99, plus added from other people’s to support my ECORS habit, always 4.0l/AW4/231. Lots of differences, but nothing that can’t be worked thru.

Shooting from the hip here, I think you need a 91-95 4.0l for the best chance of everything bolting up and all connectors being the same. If your willing to mix n match, it opens up quite a bit. As mentioned before, I’d stay away from 2000-01.
I’ve had and swapped parts between my XJs, 1990, 91, 95 & 99, plus added from other people’s to support my ECORS habit, always 4.0l/AW4/231. Lots of differences, but nothing that can’t be worked thru.
Ok so would it be easier just to get rebuilt head and how much would it cost how many hrs to replace

Back