ESC, wrangler,and why is this important to me?

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
somebody mind(in a language I can understand) explain to me what the ESC system is about,usefulness, importance.My first vehicle with this crap where I am dealing with it weekly.Wife's sportage has it but I don't drive her car but once in a great while and my interest level is "eh whatever" at it's high point.

Electronic stability control

Supposed to help prevent you from rolling it or losing control. Some vehicles will automatically apply brakes if it thinks it'll help. Not sure if it might also change steering pressure so you can't turn as tight at high speed.. don't quote me on that, because I'm not certain if it will or not. But that's the basics of it.

There's a few ways to implement it, but usually it's always individual wheel braking and then sometimes additional stuff like engine control for torque reduction. Steer angle is an input to the ESC control algorithms, not sure about active feedback for power steering.

^^^^ hell if I know.When rear antilock brakes came out, I couldn't stand the damn things.Now I don't notice it. I guess this will be about the same way.
Now as for that anti roll back bull shit I tried to disengage but didn't...

^^^^ hell if I know.When rear antilock brakes came out, I couldn't stand the damn things.Now I don't notice it. I guess this will be about the same way.
Now as for that anti roll back bull shit I tried to disengage but didn't...

ABS has changed a huge amount over the years, and it's a lot better (and less noticeable) than it used to be.

This is under your console. You could run either end of the wire through a simple toggle in order to have ESP function or not. Early JKs were plagued with an overly sensitive ESP system that would activate prematurely. Later ones aren't as prone.
9 times out of 10 it stems from a steering wheel that is off center with the wheels straight ahead. The steering angle sensor is primary input for the logic of the ABS/ESP/BAS system.
JK DISABLE.jpg

Oh no technology, kill it jimmy, lol. When you put it in 4high and 4 low it allows more wiggle room for you to do dumb stuff. I’ve got to drive like a complete dipshit to get mine to activate, attempting to 3 wheel in 4 low air’d down in 4th gear dumping the clutch in turns kind of asshatery. But in 4 high with the roads iced over you can screw around a whole lot, but 2wd will nerf the hell out of it.

Oh no technology, kill it jimmy, lol. When you put it in 4high and 4 low it allows more wiggle room for you to do dumb stuff. I’ve got to drive like a complete dipshit to get mine to activate, attempting to 3 wheel in 4 low air’d down in 4th gear dumping the clutch in turns kind of asshatery. But in 4 high with the roads iced over you can screw around a whole lot, but 2wd will nerf the hell out of it.

That's because it's wheelspeed and steer angle based, which is why 2WD freaks it out on ice.

This is under your console. You could run either end of the wire through a simple toggle in order to have ESP function or not. Early JKs were plagued with an overly sensitive ESP system that would activate prematurely. Later ones aren't as prone.
9 times out of 10 it stems from a steering wheel that is off center with the wheels straight ahead. The steering angle sensor is primary input for the logic of the ABS/ESP/BAS system.
View attachment 306319
Hope they grabbed that quarter before they buttoned everything back up.

thanks for the info! i always seem to open pandora’s box of ESC fun right before my state inspection is due...always lands near that first ice/snow of the year and i have had troubles restraining myself in 2wd. now i know i can play in 4hi with less concern. i have allowed this drama to make me replace front wheelspeed sensors, take apart the abs harness and shower liberally with contact cleaner, etc. also....none of these “repairs” immediately turned that light on the dash off...

thanks for the info! i always seem to open pandora’s box of ESC fun right before my state inspection is due...always lands near that first ice/snow of the year and i have had troubles restraining myself in 2wd. now i know i can play in 4hi with less concern. i have allowed this drama to make me replace front wheelspeed sensors, take apart the abs harness and shower liberally with contact cleaner, etc. also....none of these “repairs” immediately turned that light on the dash off...

If ESC is working properly, it shouldn't interfere with your inspection.

It's no different than ABS, where heavy braking will trigger the ABS system to modulate braking, etc., but should not trigger an ABS fault if functioning properly.

If ESC is working properly, it shouldn't interfere with your inspection.

It's no different than ABS, where heavy braking will trigger the ABS system to modulate braking, etc., but should not trigger an ABS fault if functioning properly.
admittedly this is a personal fear (any light on the dash before inspection). i never tried it for fear of wasting someone’s time. although my windshield has been cracked from side to sode and made it through 3 years of inspections.

Back