Excursion rebuild, new pics

SHINTON

Found and uploaded some pictures from the Excursion rebuild, will try to get more tonight.

http://community.webshots.com/user/shinton1970

[Look in Excursion BUILD folder for new pics]

So far, we have bought new front fenders (both sides) not pictured and a nice aftermarket BLING'N chrome grill. We still need to get the front bumper, but it will be in on Friday.

We also bought a new drivers side door, which allowed Dad to have a good guideline of where the windshield post needed to be, etc. You will see some odd pictures of the area along the windshield cut out, what he did was cut that section into about 3 pieces, pulled them out, hammered them into shaped and welded it all back in!

Now, the windshield fits perfect and the roof, etc is all lined up with the doors. You can see that the Excursion has a LARGE sunroof at the moment as well! Dad cut off the roof skin, back to the 2nd row, he was going to work it and weld it back in.

However, we got to measuring the roof, vs other large vehicles and it turns out roofs from most fullsize vans are the same size! So we cut off the roof from a van on Saturday and we will use the SKIN from that roof, to cover the Excursion. The roof will use BOTH the supports from the van and the Excursion so it will actually be a bit stronger than stock!

So, we are getting close! The roof operation is happening right now, my guess is we will be welding it on this weekend/early next week! Then it will be final bondo/finishing and prepping for the primercoat!

If I had to guess, it will be done by late May, maybe a bit earlier.

On another note, I pulled off the Intercooler this weekend and washed it out good to remove the oil that got in there from the rollover. I will be installing it tonight, the engine started MUCH easier when we figured out the oil had soaked the air filter and "clogging" up the intercooler as well. With those breathing freely it started up much better and ran with NO CODES for 30 minutes or so!

I am anxious, ready for it to be done...now I just need to clean up the Grand Cherokee and get it sold! Oh yeah a shot of BUG loaded up and ready to go to URE opening weekend! I am going to get some axle straps and different straps tonight for the trip to Windrock.

Sam...too many cars...Hinton

Attachments

• bug on tundra1 800.jpg
    bug on tundra1 800.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 455
why did you decided to try and fix one? i am very curious if in the long run you are saving much money? have you factored your time into it?

Stone, if you factored your time into it...none of us would work on our own chit! :) For instance, building a tube buggy frame instead of just buying one... :flipoff2: when we all know it is cheaper to buy one now with the price of tubing and of course your time! :huggy:

When I was thinking about buying the Ex, I did a national search on Autotrader.com for a 2002 Excursion, 4x4, diesel with 60k miles. Lowest price in the entire USA was 30,500 that week.

I will have 16,000ish in mine, not counting our time of course! :D

Sam...cheap B@st@rd...Hinton

You might be able to get some new tires for free. They recalled a lot of those steeltex at's. Go to a firestone dealer. They sent me a letter but I had already bought new tires. Worth looking into for free tires.

SHINTON said:
Stone, if you factored your time into it...none of us would work on our own chit! :) For instance, building a tube buggy frame instead of just buying one... :flipoff2: when we all know it is cheaper to buy one now with the price of tubing and of course your time! :huggy:

When I was thinking about buying the Ex, I did a national search on Autotrader.com for a 2002 Excursion, 4x4, diesel with 60k miles. Lowest price in the entire USA was 30,500 that week.

I will have 16,000ish in mine, not counting our time of course! :D

Sam...cheap B@st@rd...Hinton
no worries dude i didnt mean to come off sounding like i did. 16 is 1/2 the cost and that makes your time worth it. i was smart and bought a chassis already built too :flipoff2:

Back