Exhaust size opinions

justjeepin86

So, I put a stock TBI 350 in my yj. I am going to piece together my exhaust myself from summit. It has block hugger headers with 2" collectors. I want to run a single exhaust. Plan was to run dual 2"to single 3" connector with 3" muffler out the back. Is 3" necessary or should I just stick with 2 1/2?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

If it's stock "stock", 2" to 2 1/2" would be plenty. If you ever plan to throw in a cam, and/or fuel upgrades, etc., I'd go ahead with the 3". If room is tight, 2 1/2" should be plenty anyway. Plus cheaper. That's just my 2 cents.

Do you already have the muffler? Either 2-2.5 or 2-3 would work. 3" is going to be a little more nightmarish to package, especially if you're planning on going all the way to the back.

This engine came from a 88 3+3 and had 2 1/2 from the factory.

I don't know that I will ever so any mods to it, but I done think I will have any trouble getting 3" in there. I don't have the muffler yet, as I'm planning to buy everything at once.

Will either size minimize popping when decelerating? I would like to avoid that if possible.

Will either size minimize popping when decelerating? I would like to avoid that if possible.

The muffler you choose will determine that.

Lust my opinion, & simple backyard knowledge, but I'd say 2 1/2 is plenty. Your system is shorter than the Blazer, & I think 3" would actually hurt your torque.
Yeah, too much is not always a good thing. That's why I ask. Pretty sure I'm set on 2 1/2. I'll get the stuff ordered when I get back from the coast.

Thanks guys

I don't know that I will ever so any mods to it, but I done think I will have any trouble getting 3" in there. I don't have the muffler yet, as I'm planning to buy everything at once.

I think some sort of cross over, x pipe or h pipe will help with the poping while off the throttle.

Back