exo cage questions

bradyj001

what do you guys think about building an exo cage with angles instead of bends.

i know a certified welder with years of experience so strength of the welds will not be an issue.

what thickness of tubing should i use if i go through with this. my welder said 1 3/4" or 2" round or square with 1/4" wall

let me know what you guys think, and it will be going on a sami.

Well assuming this is round tube - that's a lot of notching to fit the angles, and a snotload of welding if we'ew talking about the whole cage.
Strength-wise it should be the same but surely the labor time would be alot more.
Mitering sq tube would be easier, but then - you're dealing w/ sq tube.

Well the time and labor are free that the only reason I looking to go this route. I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment and don't have thecash to buy a tube bender worth a crap but at the same time I wann get some kind of cage around this thing before I roll it. If I go with the square tube should I get 1 3/4" or 2" and is 1/4 wall the rite material to use.

Buy a pipe bender from HF.

a full exo-cage built out of 1/4" will be very heavy. you may want to swap in a v-6 to pull it around.

Just for some info, when we build cages, interior or exo, we use 1.75" round tube that is .120 wall thick. Its all you need. HREW or DOM is all up to you. .25 thick would weigh way too much.

If you are definately going to miter-cut it, use square tubing and make a gusset(?) to cover each joint (look at the frame Hammerite built for his scrambler, http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62158). it will be much stronger. also, 1/8" should be fine.

^^^You mean a tube kinker.
not to hijack, but what issues have you had with a bender from HF? i was thinkin about gettin one sometime in the near future. i'd be usin it for easy jobs, no exo or buggy just yet. mostly things like bumpers, stinger, sliders, etc

Back