experimenting...

Blkvoodoo

professionally useless
didn't have the time to make our own crust, used store bought, did cut our own peaches

we'll see how it turns out before expending the energy on full homemade.

grill temp was 325 when pie was laid on

lets see what happens....
58300998037__135CB558-2EE9-42E0-8200-A6084F48D847.JPG
58301007418__BA332EE3-3C8B-4976-B629-6BE338234B12.JPG

So....... how did the peach pie taste ?

JUST PEACHY !!

it was good, the crust had a smoky flavor to add to the sweet cinnamon, pretty good, the peaches inside needed more something, was good, but needed more cinnamon and brown sugar, and something to thicken the juice a bit.

Baking it on the grill was pretty straight forward, i turned it about halfway thru to even the heat out.

Temps stayed about 325° the whole time (in the dome) took about an hour and a half to bake.

we’ll try again soon, maybe add some berries or something

Did you not add any corn starch or flour to it? Peaches put off a lot of water when cooking, especially when you have a full top crust on it (open and lattice crusts have more evap).

Also, nutmeg and lemon juice are very traditional, to balance things out.

That's a pretty cool thing to do on a grill, that's got to be one of those "yep, there's no way that can't taste good" things . I usually just cut the peaches in half and stick them on the grill, then glaze them with honey, instead of turning them into pie.

Did you not add any corn starch or flour to it? Peaches put off a lot of water when cooking, especially when you have a full top crust on it (open and lattice crusts have more evap).

Also, nutmeg and lemon juice are very traditional, to balance things out.

That's a pretty cool thing to do on a grill, that's got to be one of those "yep, there's no way that can't taste good" things . I usually just cut the peaches in half and stick them on the grill, then glaze them with honey, instead of turning them into pie.
Didn’t have any of either, did have coconut flour but that would have added a texture I didn’t want, and wasn’t sure it would do what we wanted.
The juice we ended up with prior to putting peaches in the pie crust was quite a lot and we didn’t add most of it just added some brown sugar and cinnamon prior to sealing it up with the top. The top was sliced in several places to allow evap prevent blow out, I just did it after taking the pic.
As the title says, experimental cook on the grill, we’ll play some more soon.

We don’t eat a lot of “baked” bread type stuff so flour or most baking stuff isn’t kept in the house. We specifically had to buy a pound of brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon just for this when we bought the peaches.
What actually spurred this on was “The Chef” on Netflix and the grill part is we didn’t want to heat the house up.
At that, one thing they did was “blanche” the peaches to aid in peeling, apparently our peaches weren't quite ripe enough, they after 5min in boiling water then the chill in ice water we still ended up peeling with a veggie peeler. The flesh didn’t come away from the seed either.
The grill gets used pretty much daily anyway. After the pie cooked I laid down some rib tips for dinner.

The excess juice wasn’t wasted, it mixed well with rum and vodka

The top was sliced in several places to allow evap prevent blow out, I just did it after taking the pic.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, I was just noting that the amount of thickener depends on the type of crust. If the pie has no crust on top, or has a lattice crust, there is more evaporation/reduction in the oven, so the amount of thickener can be less. If you have a full top crust like you did, you would need more thickener.

We don't eat any baked stuff at home either; the wife is gluten intolerant so my pie making is at my sister or mom's houses. I do make the odd batch of Toll House cookies with double Mexican vanilla and dark chocolate though.

Blanching only works if the stuff is ripe, yeah. You can also do that for tomatoes, and also for things like peppers if you like to do things like blacken peppers on the grill to give them that smoky flavor. Blackened pepper skin is not very pleasant, so blanching when they come off the grill works well.

Last edited:
Back