explain boomerang shackles

Charles Smith

smitty1371
can anyone explain the purpose for boomerang shackles? Are they just a marketing thing to sell parts? If they do serve a purpose how should they be oriented long side up or down?

Depending on how flexible your springs are, it's possible to get shackle inversion - this is where the shackle will now point in toward the frame and the spring eye is resting against the frame. The boomerang shackles can help prevent this.

They can also be used to offset some interference between the shackle and other structural members such as cross members, etc. Not every application needs a boomerang shackle, but they can definitely be beneficial for some.

They are made for clearance issues. Like a shackle contacting the body or a body mount on full compression. I don' see how shape would effect shackle inversion.

They are made for clearance issues. Like a shackle contacting the body or a body mount on full compression. I don' see how shape would effect shackle inversion.
fsusp1.jpg

The cross bolt would contact the frame stopping shackle movement is how I believe they would combat shackle inversion.

Ahh the cross bolt, that makes sense.

Or you could set your springs up with a decent shackle angle :flipoff2:

It's for when you smack the shackle into a rock or some other immovable object and it tries to forcefully invert the shackle and bend the spring.

ok thanks for the info. I was just curious about them I have them on my yj but I really couldn't tell a difference. I was making sure I didn't get suckered by the marketing talking about how good they were.

It's for when you smack the shackle into a rock or some other immovable object and it tries to forcefully invert the shackle and bend the spring.
Also didn't consider this. I guess I'm stuck in the toyota world, where the shackle is on the back side of the sping and less of an issue. And now that you mention this I've seen that happen on a yj once or twice.

Usually needed on a 86-95 Toyota SAS because the front body mount is in the way at full compression.

Back