Extending 16' equipment trailer

Bogleparsons

I need some ideas on best way to extend my 16' equipment trailer to 20'
so I can get 2 SXS's on the deck,

The trailer is in good shape (got it in a trade a few years ago) and I can't sell it and replace with a 20' without spending 2-3k.

Don't really want to move the axles if I don't have too, so maybe cut it and add in front of axles?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201011-130421_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201011-130421_Facebook.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
To keep the ratio the same, you will need to add the length on each end, likely split 60/40.

Do you have pics of how the tongue ties into the rest of the frame? And how the frame is constructed?

What sxs are you hauling? It might be possible to turn one sideways on the front and the 4seater pulled up behind it?

To keep the ratio the same, you will need to add the length on each end, likely split 60/40.

Do you have pics of how the tongue ties into the rest of the frame? And how the frame is constructed?

What sxs are you hauling? It might be possible to turn one sideways on the front and the 4seater pulled up behind it?

I will get some better pics and post them, of those areas.

I will have that Teryx4 and also an RZR 570 on the trailer. The issue with the RZR being sideways is the wheelbase is 77" and the bumper to bumper is 107"

Cutting and splicing the trailer can be a pain man. Add some ramps or something like @CarolinaHD said. It’ll be easier in the long run id say. If you add it to the front, try for the back. Like flip ups or something but not all the way up.

It's kinda like converting a truck from 2wd to 4wd. You will end up miles ahead to sell what you have and buy what you need.

I will get some better pics and post them, of those areas.

I will have that Teryx4 and also an RZR 570 on the trailer. The issue with the RZR being sideways is the wheelbase is 77" and the bumper to bumper is 107"

102" is the legal trailer width in NC. I dont think you will have any problems, with the rzr being sideways. I know a number of folks that haul 800s & 900s sideways on their trailers and never been stopped for that. One of them was even stopped and scaled, and they never mentioned it being too wide.

102" is the legal trailer width in NC. I dont think you will have any problems, with the rzr being sideways. I know a number of folks that haul 800s & 900s sideways on their trailers and never been stopped for that. One of them was even stopped and scaled, and they never mentioned it being too wide.
Also, I see Dodge mirrors all the time that are a couple feet wider than that when flipped out, so you should be good to go.
659d486b50da41955af35f65a61a1cbc.jpeg

Last edited:

That's good news!

I done what your talking to a tag along hudson about 5 years ago. I bought it cheap, had one rusted out crossmember and needed a floor, had the mobil home style wheels, swapped them for some 6 lug Dexter's I had from another trailer I bought cheap and scrapped. Also needed a floor, I went back with white oak. I extended the trailer 2' with a dovetail. Moved the axles back to keep a 60/40 weight distribution. Had it blasted, then I painted it and rewired and installed all led lights. In the end I had about $1600 in a trailer I paid $600 for. I said all that to say this, just sell it and buy or build another. It'll bring more as is than if you start chopping on it, with the fenders like they are itll be a pain, and you should get a fair price for it as it doesn't look beat up, put that towards the new one and enjoy your sxs those 3 weekends you'd have in the other one. Just my .02, well maybe .05

But what does that do to your tongue weight? I'm not familiar with the machines weights, but seems either moving 1 forward, or 1 backward, Without moving the axles, screws up the tongue weight.

It would change the tongue weight. But it would likely be less than what he has shown in the pic above. The RZR he has is much lighter that the teryx. Plus with them all having the engines in the rear, and that being over/behind the axles, it will help to balance.

Worse case, he can used a WD hitch on his half ton and make up for the added tongue weight.

Back