External fuel pump for EFI help

superpile

Probably running in circles
Going with a RCI 2161A tank and mounting it in the back of my 3.0 V6 89 runner. What pump do you all recommend for it? Or is the route best to get a ring for a TJ and weld it in then use a TJ pump assembly? I’m in the parts stage so no rush the pile is still mobile and driving.

Looking for some advice though as in the past I’ve kept the stock tank and just moved it to behind the cab but I want it clean easy to mount on the inside of the runner but not steal a ton of space the cooler and camp chairs use/need.

Thanks for the info! I just read where some of the RCI units have cracked at a seam weld. That is odd. I wonder if it is related to the way they were held down? Any thoughts on the RCI steel rockcrawler tank? Since it looks to be super easy to remove the top and hole saw in for the yota round pump housing it is looking pretty good. Just pricey.

Moto units linked above are nice to. It and their mount are priced well also. I wonder if a Barnes hold down for the RCI would fit the moto with the same dems? Be the cheapest route for sure and I like the filler cap moto uses better than the RCI unit.

Paging @Jody Treadway for how he fixed his.
Thanks for the info! I just read where some of the RCI units have cracked at a seam weld. That is odd. I wonder if it is related to the way they were held down? Any thoughts on the RCI steel rockcrawler tank? Since it looks to be super easy to remove the top and hole saw in for the yota round pump housing it is looking pretty good. Just pricey.

Moto units linked above are nice to. It and their mount are priced well also. I wonder if a Barnes hold down for the RCI would fit the moto with the same dems? Be the cheapest route for sure and I like the filler cap moto uses better than the RCI unit.

The Barnes mount fit the Motobilt cell, @adamk is running the barnes mount and Motobilt cell.

The RCI is made of thinner aluminum, usually crack from fuel slosh.

I would definitely use an internal pump rather than external. Check out @Jody Treadway build thread as he switched from external to internal and did it in a pretty simple way.

I was watching Big Hair Ian and he was doing a fuel tank class/show and he said that aluminum fuel tanks need to be encased in an enclosure that captures all 4 bottom corners and captures the most part of the tank up to about 2/3rds way to top. Seems kind of redundant to me, might as well have a steel tank but I think most are using bladder tanks now due to aluminum splitting.

Go with a bladder style, hands down.
Gimme a call tomorrow sometime. I'll tell you how I fixed mine.

Get a Walbro 255 if you want to stay external.
On big buggies we seem to get about 2 to 3 years life out of them. They're cheap (about $100 for a legit one, don't buy a knockoff) and will do the job for up to about 500/550 crank hp.

https://www.amazon.com/Walbro-GSL39...5BBEZ5XTPFP&psc=1&refRID=XHSBGP6D25BBEZ5XTPFP

They come with barb fittings, but AN adapters are widely available if needed.

If you want to go internal, there are many different solutions, but the Holley one is a good one (albeit a little expensive) and meant to fit in with minimal mods. I use a Silverado pump in my tank.

As for the RCI tanks, they offer now a blader version of their tanks and these will hold. If you are handy with a TIG welder, you can "fix" the old school RCI ones prety easily too. One thing to remember is to cradle mount you tanks and avoid weld-on pucks which are a terrible way to mount components IMO.

Cool guys thanks. I ordered a Motobilt unit. I’ll give you a shout tomorrow for some guidance! I will be going with the Barnes mount I think and I’m in the mind to use my factory pump assembly as it looks like it is easy enough to make work. Swap in a new pump while it is out.

Back