F150 4wd issue

yota4me

My buddy has an 05 F150 w/ 5.4 It wont engage in 4wd high or low. I have checked all the fuses and relays and everything checks out. I have heard that its possible that its the transfer case selector motor but the tech at ford said it could be but that it is not common on the newer trucks. Anyone have any thoughts?

When he tries to engage in 4x4, does he hear some clicking in the dash like relays. If so while trying to go in 4wd lightly tap the shift motor with a hammer. There is a timer board on the motor that sometimes get junk on the contacts or the brushes are stuck from moisture. If he doesnt hear any clicking the dash, it could be the selector switch or the 4wd control relay or the GEM module. Lemme know what you find out because we just went through one in my shop today. I and give you some tests but need some more info on what is happening.

See if front dshaft turns when you put the switch on 4x4. If so, the prob is in the axle. If not then the problem is with the shifter motor or possibly more towards the switch/relay.

If axle: Probably CAD (Center Axle Disconnect). Im not familiar with the exact setup with on the 05 but my 03 had a shifter fork in the front axle that had delrin feet on it that had broken off and consequently, weren't engaging the collar that connects the axle shafts. Basically had to dissasemble the front end to fix it. Wasn't fun but was do'able in the garage.

Could also be hubs if not CAD.

Also, the motor on the tcase is easy to remove. You could test by watching for the motor to turn when 4x4 is engaged. Smack it with a hammer if it doesn't. Sometimes this will free it up.

alright i tested for voltage and i got power but there are like 8 different pins on the plug so im not really sure which ones should have what. i did not try to hit it while trying to engage so i will try that tomorrow.

if the problem was with the axle wouldnt the light still come on on the dash?

i replaced both relays under the hood and checked all the fuses that i could tell were 4wd related

there is no clicking or any noise at all. i figured when i get more time i would take the motor off and mess with it. i found a "new" used one for $100 so i guess it could be worse

Back