F250 - weighted tag or ?? (personal use only)

Jeffncs

I ordered a F250 for personal use (flat trailer towing and RV). Can I transfer my F150 non-weighted tag to the new truck? Or do I need to get a weighted tag for the new rig?

7.3 CC F250

Thanks!

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But the non weighted tags cover just about the vehicle curb weight and potentially payload for smaller vehicles. You'd need a weighted tag for anything more. You can transfer a Tag from a smaller vehicle to a larger one with respect to weight, payload and tow capacity. I had a 2014 Ram 1500 standard cab and I kept the tag from it to put on my 03 Dodge 2500. Though its just a standard tag, To pull trailers I'd need a weighted tag on either vehicle.

Tag needs to cover weight of everything. Truck and what you are hauling. I think personal tags can only be weighted up to 6k lbs ish, then you need a weighted.

Example
7k pound truck, 2k pound trailer with 4k pound car. You would need a min 13k plate.

Not 100% sure on the RV.

Dealer gon make you get a 10k min tag (at least that was my experience). The truck itself would weigh more than the 5k standard tag.

Thanks for the info. I’ll just add my old truck tag to my garage wall with all of the others!
Enjoy. The NC division of motor robbery will send you a fine demanding their plate back or that you pay them.

One of my guys wrecked my 2500hd, parked it, took insurance off of it, got a letter in the mail saying I owed them 50 or hand in the tag bc I took insurance off a registered vehicle. Currently I have done neither bc fuck em

I hauled my excavator home from Georgia on an 8k tag. I was 23,500 or so loaded. We're talking a 1500 dollar (or more) ticket. The 585 bucks for a 24k tag was more than worth it to me.

NC is a gestapo state. Most other states, a standard tag covers all recreational towing up to GVR of the vehicle.
The cost of forming an LLC in a "regular" state that doesnt charge annual renewals, and then titling the vehicle there, leasing it to yourself - so you can have a logical tag on it, is way cheaper than the annual NC anal probing. Additionally, youll gain some limited liability in your life, and if done right, a little anonymity.

Not me, but a friend, got the cheapest weighted tag (but will probably pull over the prescribed weight at some point) just to pass the 'glance' test. Since the weighted plate doesn't actually have a weight stamped into it, figured the man seeing a weighted plate on a personal use F250 pulling a car trailer would pass the sniff test. No need to pay for 15k+ pounds tag.

Thats incorrect, they can tell how much weight your tag is good for based off the first few digits on the plate. Figured that out at the tag office when she gave me a 8,000 tag and I asked for a 13,000. Put the first plate back and grabbed one from a different stack.
If you raise or lower the weight on a tag you already have, then they don't change out the plate.

Also, the troopers have a online "catalog" they can search that shows the weight of just about every piece of equipment out there. They'll pull up beside you, glance at the tag, add up a rough weight of what you're towing and pull you over.

For the record I'm not on the states side, I've just been pulled and know the fines add up quick, lol.

Thats incorrect, they can tell how much weight your tag is good for based off the first few digits on the plate. Figured that out at the tag office when she gave me a 8,000 tag and I asked for a 13,000. Put the first plate back and grabbed one from a different stack.

Idk about that, would they not run out of plates combinations. They all start with two letters.

I'll have to look at what letters mine start with, is at 13k as well.

State fuzz pulled alongside me a while back ago then drifted back to check the trailer (that I don’t run a plate on because Michigan registration) they pulled me and I had to explain the whole situation. I’m military, I hold Mi. residency, truck is Mi registered and don’t have to plate the trailer or declare any weight just standard vehicle plates. Of all the places I have lived NC is the only one who does the weighted plates and fees and inspections like they do. = bullshit money making scheme.

Idk about that, would they not run out of plates combinations. They all start with two letters.

I'll have to look at what letters mine start with, is at 13k as well.
2 letters give you 676 combinations. 4 digits gives you 10000 vehicles per letter combo.

If you raise or lower the weight on a tag you already have, then they don't change out the plate.

Also, the troopers have a online "catalog" they can search that shows the weight of just about every piece of equipment out there. They'll pull up beside you, glance at the tag, add up a rough weight of what you're towing and pull you over.

For the record I'm not on the states side, I've just been pulled and know the fines add up quick, lol.
What? If you can raise or lower the weight without changing the plate, then the 2 letters are meaningless.

They aren't pulling over cars with no plate at all, 3 year old paper plates, busted lights, subwoofers so loud they'll rattle your house windows.....a weighted tag that MIGHT be 500 lbs under is not a huge concern.

What? If you can raise or lower the weight without changing the plate, then the 2 letters are meaningless.

They aren't pulling over cars with no plate at all, 3 year old paper plates, busted lights, subwoofers so loud they'll rattle your house windows.....a weighted tag that MIGHT be 500 lbs under is not a huge concern.

I'm not arguing with you, do your thing.

Lol 10 4 I was just trying to point out that if you lowered the weight and kept the same tag, then it might pass the glance test. Not too many people are keen to go to the dmv and sit in line to lower it tho. Just a loophole I noticed.

When I bumped up my old truck from 11k to 26k they gave me a new tag. Lowered it back down and still kept it 🤔

Meh...
I run a 26k tag on my tow pig cuz i hate fucking with the DOT.gov communist bastards.

But i pull at eleventy thousand pounds.
A DURAMAX will do that ya know.
Flame suit is on for any haters who drive the other brands that suck.

And only last 300,000 miles
Well, it's a 2008 with 125,000 miles.
So i'll be 76 when it hits that point, and probably wheeling a scooter thingy with cut Boggers on it.
While drinking beer and listening to Metallica.
I'm down with that!

'Dre...
:rockon:

Back