Fabricators "cardboard" ...that good stuff

marty79

Hey everyone, just figured I'd start getting ideas for this stuff. Where/How do you get that special cardboard that works amazing for fabricating? From what I remember when working somewhere, it's not that cheap to buy new but I've heard you can source it from Costco/Sams?? idk, just looking for ideas of places to look. thanks

For one time use templates, I just use poster board from staples...

For something I'll use multiple times, chipboard is more durable;

But you could probably find that cheaper (Smaller Quanity) at someplace like Michael's or the UPS store, it's commonly used for stiffening large envelopes, or putting in the top of a box for shipping as extra protection.

I like single ply chipboard. It's the same as what beer/cereal/etc boxes are made of. Reasonably stiff, can be cut easily with scissors. Two ply is better for large expanses, but needs to be cut with a razor. Either should be available at a craft store in 24*36" ish sheets.

I like single ply chipboard. It's the same as what beer/cereal/etc boxes are made of. Reasonably stiff, can be cut easily with scissors. Two ply is better for large expanses, but needs to be cut with a razor. Either should be available at a craft store in 24*36" ish sheets.
Cool I'll check out Michaels, thanks. Cereal boxes does work pretty well so if that's what this stuff is, golden.
Now waiting on quote for price of 4x8 sheets...oh boy lol

Cool I'll check out Michaels, thanks. Cereal boxes does work pretty well so if that's what this stuff is, golden.
Now waiting on quote for price of 4x8 sheets...oh boy lol
Just tape smaller sheets together. That works with smaller templates, too. If you're trying to fit it into a given space, the likelihood that you're going to nail it on the first try is nil. More likely, you'll get a piece to fit the left side, a piece to fit the right side, etc, then tape them together for transferring.

Just tape smaller sheets together. That works with smaller templates, too. If you're trying to fit it into a given space, the likelihood that you're going to nail it on the first try is nil. More likely, you'll get a piece to fit the left side, a piece to fit the right side, etc, then tape them together for transferring.
I meant 4x8 steel sheets. 1/4, 3/8 and 16ga

I get mine at the grocery store

1623847219143.png

The dollar tree has some of the single ply stuff for $.50 a sheet. Its not super thick, but it works great for smaller brackets and like Shawn said it can be cut with scissors.

I've never used that, is it comparable strength to the other "real deal" stuff?

No, It's not, it's just cheap and easy to work with. that's why I only use posterboard for one time templates, like if I need to drill an array of holes in a plate to match an existing bracket.

I used that stuff...got the idea from this guy...

Top tech tip: roll out good size pieces...4 to 5 feet long, tape them down to a flat surface (floor or table), leave overnight, come back the next day to flat template making good stuff.
Just a tech tip: I used them to cover my plastic work tables.

I used that stuff...got the idea from this guy...

Top tech tip: roll out good size pieces...4 to 5 feet long, tape them down to a flat surface (floor or table), leave overnight, come back the next day to flat template making good stuff.
Just a tech tip: I used them to cover my plastic work tables.

Seen that, dont like idea of it not being flat. That would annoy me since patience isn't my thing lol

I use ramboard too....had a roll and a half left from building/moving. Works great

I use ramboard too....had a roll and a half left from building/moving. Works great
Well I just might have to get a roll since a few of you like it. You cut sections and let em flatten out?

I find that beer cases make the best cardboard for templates, I actually got to a point I've had to throw away some of it. Works good for paint shields when painting roll cages.

The fab cardstock isn't corrugated, it's flat.

I'll find out the brand, I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. Its quite expensive by the box.
You're talking about the standard manila-colored heavy cardstock, right?

Marsh Shipping Supply is the brand I'm familiar with, it's their canary colored oilboard. It's oilboard stencil stock, 24x36" sheets.

Google "stencil oilboard", that's the real-deal stuff that the fabricators use.

Last edited:
Back