Fall Goldmine Trail Hike

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Some of you may remember back in 2012 or so a group of us hiked the Gold Mine Trail, and some connecting trails to take a look at the possibility of re-opening trail on that side of the OHV Trail System. A large portion of the Lake View Trail consists of re-opening old trail sections (the CCC Trail, Big Branch Trail, and an extended portion of the Falls Dam Trail reside in that vicinity) combined with new trail construction. It's easily the most cost effective way to get a new trail made, and the fact that it solves the problem of un-licensed travel on 516 helps also.

A couple of us are tentatively going to put together a trail hike this Fall of the Gold Mine trail and some of it's surrounding connector trails. Worst case scenario we spend a day enjoying a hike in the mountains, best case scenario we see some promising opportunities and decide to start mapping out the area in depth.

It's a long a shot, but is there any interest in doing a Gold Mine trail hike in an effort to learn more about the area, and explore possible options for re-opening sections of trail on the East side of the OHV Trail System?

I was there. Is the FS on board with trying to find a connector to the bottom of Daniel? I know I would love to see one.

I sent Terry Savery an e-mail and there is interest from the Forest Service. As many know the east side of the trail system has had a lot of increased usage after the closure of the Kodak Rock section of RML so the Forest Service is all ready looking at starting to do trail re-routes on Dickey Bell & Daniel. Trail degradation from increased usage increases difficulty as the dirt reveals more and more rock, but it is also what get trails closed (Remember Tellico). So the area is all ready getting attention from the Forest Service, it is a perfect opportunity to do some leg work to help and get our input heard early on. If we can get portions of the old trails re-opened along with some new trail construction (especially if we are able to keep some of the more challenging areas) it would help spread out the usage on that side of the trail system, and would also reduce loop traffic on Daniel giving an alternate route/connector trail to those that go down the trail coming from Dickey Bell. I would rather be involved early on and be able to provide the Forest Service with ideas, than to just sit back and watch.

The trail hike will likely be all day, we will take it a slow pace so we can make notes etc. I will be getting in contact with Chris Cagle about doing some kind of packed lunches so we can stop for lunch on the trail. Next step is setting a date, which will be posted ASAP.

I can't make it, but wish I could.

Moved to 3 February

Back