Family Tent?

Well just got back from a fun but wet rainy weekend in the NC mountains!! The Coleman Max worked great with nary a drip or leak to be found. I took @ord.sgt.26NC s advice and used a heavy waxed canvas tarp i had and made me a rainfly. The floor vents were really nice to keep the air flowing and not have any condensation on the inside. I just set it back up in the shop to dry out and am still amazed at the speed of setup and the overall strength and build quality.I am satisfied with the size too, plenty of room for us 3 and all our gear.
uploadfromtaptalk1407718753073.jpg

found a photo of the front of my Coleman 8person easy tent at lake Phelps back in april and what I did with the tarp
phelpstent.jpg

I camped in family tents for many years. On rainy nights, I found that a good tarp can really help keep the water out, if you get a big enough tarp to extend past the tent on all sides. I string a line up high over the tent and use it as the backbone for the tarp.

Also forget about air mattresses, and get a Thermarest self inflating sleeping pad for each person.

I camped in family tents for many years. On rainy nights, I found that a good tarp can really help keep the water out, if you get a big enough tarp to extend past the tent on all sides. I string a line up high over the tent and use it as the backbone for the tarp.

Also forget about air mattresses, and get a Thermarest self inflating sleeping pad for each person.
Bump that individual sleeping pad idea!! Me and wifey has to snuggles while we out in the big scary woods!!
We have taken our Coleman instant up out a couple more times and it gets easier to set up every time, we really like it so far.

I like my Ozark Trail instant it is a 4 person but will fit one queen air inside it. I am looking at the OT 8 person for the family

Anyone with more recent reviews and suggestions?

Here are some that have good reviews, but wondering if anyone here has used any of them:

Any suggestions on one for higher winds? We have broke 2 tents at the outer banks in the past 2 years, normal stuff the tent does fine, but the winds at the OBX hate most of our tents.

Back