Fan neccesary?

If you ran it without coolant in it, splitting a head gasket is getting off easy. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the heads are cracked or warped.

Yea I mean I've always been told you can run an engine a little bit w/o coolant in it, course I'm talking a very short period of time, like probably no more than a minute or so . . . . buuut most likley you are going to tell me thats a very bad thing to do to an engine, which I wouldn't be surprised if It did blow the engine that'll make the fourth engine I've blown this semester :shaking:

Is the cooling system pumping coolant out as soon as its running, with the cap off? Like a certain cylinder is blowing compression into the cooling system? Thats the easiest sign of a blown head gasket. It will generally spew out of the radiator, even before its very hot! (And compression testing it don't cost nuthin either!)

Dont discount the effect of an old cap. Water needs pressure to keep from boiling off!

x2 on the vapor locked. Make sure system is bled

240 wont hurt a motor unless the cooling system goes dry.

No it doesnt pump until the thermostat opens, also took the thermostat out today to see what would happen it did flow but didnt spew. I will do a compression test on it soon i guess. I'll be outta town all Christmas week thou so won't be back to raliegh to mess with it till later.

The cap is new, it came with the radiator 35lb one, but i'll put a normal pressure one on it.

Pretty sure the system is bled fine, like almost half the radiator is above the engine so the highest point is def the cap and I've ran it a while without the cap on.

One thing that made me think its the head gasket/heads blown is that the idle has been mildly off here lately and when I took the cap off it seemed to get worse but if I put the radiator cap back on the idle seemed to improve . . . . . which is why I think it's building so much pressure in the coolant system :rolleyes:

Are the heater hoses hooked up to the right sides of the heater core? Some heater cores only flow in one direction and if reversed they will inhibit the flow of coolant drastically. Secondly if you are not running a heater or have bypassed the heater core did you hook up a hose from the water pump outlet back to the outlet on the back of the intake? I am by no means trying to be a smart ass but I have made this mistake myself more than once before.

Are the heater hoses hooked up to the right sides of the heater core? Some heater cores only flow in one direction and if reversed they will inhibit the flow of coolant drastically. Secondly if you are not running a heater or have bypassed the heater core did you hook up a hose from the water pump outlet back to the outlet on the back of the intake? I am by no means trying to be a smart ass but I have made this mistake myself more than once before.

Its a dual pass radiator both inlets on one side, upper an lower

heater outlets are blocked off at both the manifold and radiator, you don't need to run em if you don't have a heater you can just block em off, my 81 chevy is like that and it runs at 170 max, and thats what i've seen most people do, just block em off.

Not at 60 MPH but the closer you approach to 0 MPH, you will begin needing a fan unless your radiator is the size of a storage shed and can support Qin = Qout via natural convection.

Back