FARM TAG VS WEIGHTED VS REGULAR TAG

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
So I bought black Betty here.

20210228_163724.jpg

My immediate plans are just to use around the house and my inlaws house. They are helping on costs in return for using the truck. Will haul feed (we both have chickens) gravel, sand, mowers, and other light stuff mostly but will get in some towing if needed.

My question is, how restrictive is a farm tag? My concern is weight when hauling a vehicle or a load of sand/gravel. I'm not good at understanding all the BS on the DMV site. All I know is we had weighted tags when it was my stepdads, because we frequently hauled cars.

RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR ISSUANCE OF FARM TRUCK REGISTRATION PLATES (1) The term "farmer" means any person engaged in the raising, growing and producing of farm products on a farm not less than 10 acres in area and located in North Carolina and who does not engage in the business of buying farm products for resale. (2) The term "applicant's farm" means the farm under the applicant's direct management, supervision, control or custody, and does not necessarily mean that title to the land must be actually vested in the applicant. Farm truck registration plates cannot be used on trucks and truck-tractors transporting farm products for a neighbor or any other person, farm products purchased for resale, or products or supplies of any nature hauled for another for compensation. (3) Farm truck registration plates shall be issued only for trucks and truck-tractors that are operated for the primary purpose of carrying or transporting the applicant's farm products, raised or produced on the applicant's farm, and farm supplies. The license plates shall not be used on a vehicle operated in hauling for hire. (4) The term "farm products" means any food crop, livestock, poultry, dairy products, flower bulbs, other nursery products or other agricultural products designed to be used for food purposes. The term "farm products" also includes cotton, tobacco, logs, bark, pulpwood, tannic acid wood and other forest products grown, produced or processed by the farmer. (5) The term "farm supplies" means any supplies which the farmer might transport for use on his farm, or hired workers or employees on his farm transported to or from work without charge. (6) The minimum annual fee for any farm truck registration plate shall be $30.00.

RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR ISSUANCE OF FARM TRUCK REGISTRATION PLATES (1) The term "farmer" means any person engaged in the raising, growing and producing of farm products on a farm not less than 10 acres in area and located in North Carolina and who does not engage in the business of buying farm products for resale. (2) The term "applicant's farm" means the farm under the applicant's direct management, supervision, control or custody, and does not necessarily mean that title to the land must be actually vested in the applicant. Farm truck registration plates cannot be used on trucks and truck-tractors transporting farm products for a neighbor or any other person, farm products purchased for resale, or products or supplies of any nature hauled for another for compensation. (3) Farm truck registration plates shall be issued only for trucks and truck-tractors that are operated for the primary purpose of carrying or transporting the applicant's farm products, raised or produced on the applicant's farm, and farm supplies. The license plates shall not be used on a vehicle operated in hauling for hire. (4) The term "farm products" means any food crop, livestock, poultry, dairy products, flower bulbs, other nursery products or other agricultural products designed to be used for food purposes. The term "farm products" also includes cotton, tobacco, logs, bark, pulpwood, tannic acid wood and other forest products grown, produced or processed by the farmer. (5) The term "farm supplies" means any supplies which the farmer might transport for use on his farm, or hired workers or employees on his farm transported to or from work without charge. (6) The minimum annual fee for any farm truck registration plate shall be $30.00.
Sign your name, get the farm tag. I justified mine cause I was helping my neighbor haul hay and other things for his horses and never got paid a penny so not for compensation. Ymmv. For what it's worth it wasn't really questioned but I never gave a reason for it to be.

So basically as long as I'm not operating for hire, should be fine.

Correct as long as the original justification is good your good from there . I wish I could get them for my 2500 but I doubt I can even try renting in a neighborhood lol

Correct as long as the original justification is good your good from there . I wish I could get them for my 2500 but I doubt I can even try renting in a neighborhood lol
My only real catch is that we don't have 10 acres. But it seems like that really doesn't matter

It doesn't. Act like you do or manage or help someone that does.
Well, I our family farm is a smidge over 100. I do help. Sounds like I'm good.

Yesterday I saw a brand new raptor with a farm tag on it, guarantee that truck was not purchased to haul hay or produce. NC doesn't enforce much of anything right now, if you can justify it you are good.

I think you would have to be involved in a DUI related hit and run after a drive-by shooting before the cops would think about pulling you over for anything these days.

Back