Fiberglass or steel?

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Got a question for you guys, I want to get a replacement body for the Cj instead of trying to weld in all new panels where they are rusted out. (I posted that I'm looking for a CJ5 Tub by the way) Anyway I found a place that sells brand new Fiberglass CJ5 bodys in GA for $600, anyway is a fiberglass body better or a Normal Steel body? I figured fiberglass was better because it's lightwieght and easy to repair. What do you guys think?

I think it depends on what you want to use it for. Street OK, Trail, a new $600 fiberglass tub doesn't sound too sturdy to me.
Remember, everything you wire in a fiber tub will have to also have a ground run to it too, since fiberglass is not a conductor.

$600 what is it a bath tub. Also roll cage config. will be something
you will have to do a lot of fabbing on. If its that cheap it will
probally bust an crack all to hell.

Seems there's a guy on the ORC SWB board that got a tub from, what I'm figuring, is the same place you're looking at. Seems he said it was better quality than he was expecting.

as far as Glass compared to steel. I'm running a glass tub, fenders, hood and windsheild. Grounding to teh frame really isn't a big deal. who cares if you can't ground to the tub. I'll take that over rust any day. so far the tub is pretty tough. I've hit it a few times and it's holding up fine. can't say weight is all that much less. where you loose in strength you make up for in thickness and thus loose the weight ratio of steel to glass. I've moved steel tubs and lifted my tub to remove body mounts, can't say there's that much of a difference. Do I like my Glass tub, ya, would I prefer steel... can't say I would. the glass hasn't given me any real problems. but it sure is nice to say... hhhmmmm, I need another drain hole right about.... HERE! and start drilling. no worries about rust.

The only down side in my book is that glass freakin itches!!!!

mbalbritton: Is the itching issue really that bad cause I sure as heck dont want to itch everytime I get in it. But yea I'm with you, rust is never again a problem, thats awsome in my book.

To all: Basically I priced its gonna cost me around $450 shipped for one of those replacement floors/firewall combo's and then I still have to buy rocker panels and also deal with the step behind the seats which will end up costing me around $600 anyway so thats why I am leaning toward fiberglass. However, if I can find a body somewhere for alot less than I will most likely take that, I'm just having trouble finding anyone with a replacement tub including ebaymotors.

Itching only follows when you've been working on it. i.e. cutting drilling, rubbing up against the underside where it's not been sealed and painted. It's not like you ride down the road itching just because you got in it...

mbalbritton said:
Itching only follows when you've been working on it. i.e. cutting drilling, rubbing up against the underside where it's not been sealed and painted. It's not like you ride down the road itching just because you got in it...

Oh ok, good cause that would suck. Upon further ponderation (I made up that word :D ) that was a dumb question considering I work with boats all summer which are made out of fiberglass . . .

jrraw23 said:
Oh ok, good cause that would suck. Upon further ponderation (I made up that word :D ) that was a dumb question considering I work with boats all summer which are made out of fiberglass.

um.. ya.. gonna have to agree with you on that one... :D

for $600, I'd try a fiberglass tub. thats a decent price unless its crap. Some glass tubs have steel reinforcing near the body mounts and high stress areas. Some of the less expensive ones may not have any of that, which could lead to cracking down the road and eventually more work...

Personally, I'd have steel caus its kind of hard to weld fiberglass...

Rob

I suggest steel if you are going to wheel the rig. Only reason is because the fiberglass has a greater potential to break/crack if you bounce it off a rock/tree/etc.. Where steel will just bend. If it is a pavement pounder...the glass bodys are nice looking and a great soultion to rust.

Seth

Tru you cant weld fiberglass, but my dad used to make fiberglass parts waaaay back in the day so he knows how to repair it no prob, so thats kinda why I'm leaning towards fiberglass because: one the price, two no rust probs, three its costs the same as fixing my current body, and four my dad's really good at working with it.

I knew a guy with fiberglass tub and he hated it. It cracked and then everytime he flexed it would splinter. I would reccomend it for street use, but no at all for trail use.

Back