Fire extinguisher reminder

Loganwayne

#BTL
I hadn't move my jeep in probably three months due to it being broke and me being out of town. i was going to drive it to get subway tonight,moved it from out back into my driveway went in and got my wallet. Came back out and i smelt gas looked under the jeep and i had a busted fuel line. If i wouldn't have went inside my jeep could have caught on fire. Just goes to show that anything can happen and having a fire extinguisher WITHIN REACH OF THE DRIVER seems like something most people forget about when building something.

Just to add to that, you should take it out every so often, [I might think of it 2-3 times a year] & Shake it! See if you can feel the dry powder moving? They Will set up, so to be effective the powder needs to be free flowing. I usually take my shot hammer, or a rubber hammer & tap it, All around, & on the bottom. Make sure you can feel the powder shifting, as you shake it, or when you need it, you might get One Big Puff of Air!

I had one in my CUCV that I bought new and it crapped out completely, thankfully, before I ever needed to use it.

Yeah, most of the dry powder fire extinguishers can be problematic at best. If the powder isn't clumping in the bottom of the bottle, the crappy plastic pickup tube is breaking off or they're bleeding off propellant.

In a pinch, you can unscrew the cap (careful, its pressurized) and pour the powder on the fire.

Yeah, most of the dry powder fire extinguishers can be problematic at best. If the powder isn't clumping in the bottom of the bottle, the crappy plastic pickup tube is breaking off or they're bleeding off propellant.

In a pinch, you can unscrew the cap (careful, its pressurized) and pour the powder on the fire.

I have been in fire protection business for most of my life. Most of the extinguishers you get at a box store (lowes, home depot) will have plastic dip tubes and most times plastic valves. The ones I carry are aluminum or brass valves and stainless or aluminum dip tubes. They also carry a 6 year warranty against leaking down.

If you get one from box store keep the reciept, AFAIK they have a 2 year warranty and you can return for a new one. I have seen them taken out of the box and be leaked down.

I have been in fire protection business for most of my life. Most of the extinguishers you get at a box store (lowes, home depot) will have plastic dip tubes and most times plastic valves. The ones I carry are aluminum or brass valves and stainless or aluminum dip tubes. They also carry a 6 year warranty against leaking down.
So... Any deals on one that I can put in the JK?

What size you want? 2.5lb or 5lb? I would be glad to help a fellow nc4x4 member out. If you ever come close to benson send me a message and I will set you up with one.
I'm open to suggestions, but I'm thinking of a 5 pounder to mount inside the tuffy trunk so it doesn't "grow legs and walk off" and a 2.5 to put on the side of drivers seat.

index.php

This is the best location I could find in my jk, The driver and passenger can reach it. I keep a larger one in the back but I cant reach it from the drivers seat.

Also need to remember to keep one or several in the house. My wife had to use ours about a year ago when a grease fire busted out in the kitchen.

Also doesn't hurt to become familiar with one.
I work in a chemical factory so I do mandatory extinguisher training twice a year.

My wife on the other hand had never used one and in a panic had a hard time with it. At work we learn PASS (pull aim squeeze sweep). Easy to remember for the wife or kids.

I can't remember the year this happened, but it was quite some time ago. Possibly the person this misfortune happened to is still with us today.

Attachments

• Uwharrie_Fire.pdf
    69.7 KB · Views: 237
The only thing better than a fire extinguisher around is having a buddy with one too.

I never had one & never thought about it & got lucky for a long time but when my son who is 10 now started riding with me that's the 1st thing I did before he rode in it.

Back