Fire pit area build

ckruzer

Infidel
Need a 20x20 area built in sloped yard, using railroad ties to create a retained flat area, filled with gravel (have firepit to go on top in middle).
Looking for someone that can do this for me, prayerfully before May 31
Property in Asheville NC

Need a 20x20 area built in sloped yard, using railroad ties to create a retained flat area, filled with gravel (have firepit to go on top in middle).
Looking for someone that can do this for me, prayerfully before May 31
Property in Asheville NC
Budget?

$4k?
Shouldnt be much involved
If its reasonable Ill ask if they also want to edge my 47x16 deck with rr ties and put a layer of gravel under it
Its essentially a near "no dig" job, besides the few inches to get the level first layer of ties. I want as little digging as possible because its at the edge of a septic field. And then a 3500 dually with a dump bed can probably fill the inside with one dump (access around the drain field to accomplish that)

Last edited:
I think the downhill side will need three ties tall. The uphill front side will just be the one. The sides - staggered to meet. Idc how neat the tetris will look. Ill cover in faux stone siding at a later date

Your material estimate is quite a bit off. Assuming a 20'x20' area, 2 feet deep on the deep end (3 cross ties at 8" tall), thats 15 cubic yards of material. You'll be lucky to get 3 cubic yards on a 3500 just due to weight. Thats closer to 2 tandem axle dump truck loads, or 5 very full loads in a 3500. Around here, a dumptruck load of gravel is about $700-800, I assume it is similar up your way.

Your material estimate is quite a bit off. Assuming a 20'x20' area, 2 feet deep on the deep end (3 cross ties at 8" tall), thats 15 cubic yards of material. You'll be lucky to get 3 cubic yards on a 3500 just due to weight. Thats closer to 2 tandem axle dump truck loads, or 5 very full loads in a 3500. Around here, a dumptruck load of gravel is about $700-800, I assume it is similar up your way.

Right
But why fill the whole thing with gravel....
Top off with gravel, 4in? Fill with cheap sand ($15/cuyd?)? Is fill dirt cheaper?
I estimated 150cuyd of space to fill in total?
3ties on the deep end was overage estimate, front would be near flush. So if we avg that it should be around 150is? A 2x20x20 would be 266 yds? Also this area is a rounded slope, so thatll be even less space to fill

Right
But why fill the whole thing with gravel....
Top off with gravel, 4in? Fill with cheap sand ($15/cuyd?)? Is fill dirt cheaper?
I estimated 150cuyd of space to fill in total?
3ties on the deep end was overage estimate, front would be near flush. So if we avg that it should be around 150is? A 2x20x20 would be 266 yds? Also this area is a rounded slope, so thatll be even less space to fill
2x20x20 is multiplied by 0.5 since its a triangle (0ft at one end, 2ft at the other, averages out to 1ft). 2x20x20x0.5 is 400 cubic feet, divided by 27 (ft^3 to yds^3) is 14.81 cubic yards. Of course if you're just doing the top 4", it would be 0.33x20x20/27=4.9 cubic yards, about 13000-14000lbs.

I would put two stakes in the ground. One at the highest spot and one at the lowest spot. Run a string between them and put a string level on it. The amount of slope may fool you. You may need more than three ties high on the low side. I've been there recently.

Back