Firearms for sale- Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

I understand this is a privately owned board and the owner can make whatever rules he see's fit. I've no issues with that.

However, I am curious about the no guns for sale rule. I see no legal liability that the board could incure for allowing a rifle or handgun to be advertised as for sale.
For handguns, a purchase permit (issued by the sheriff) is required-even between private parties. For longguns no paper work is required between NC residents. Out of state sales require going through an FFL. I'd like to know what kind of liability the board owner is worried about. I see none. No flame here, just curious about the decision.

From the for sale FAQ:
NO posting of guns for sale - This includes ANY type of gun. Don't post it. It is a liability issue that the board will not accept.

It's a civil liability, and we choose, at the advice of our lawyer, not to allow it.

Slacker said:
I understand this is a privately owned board and the owner can make whatever rules he see's fit. I've no issues with that.
However, I am curious about the no guns for sale rule. I see no legal liability that the board could incure for allowing a rifle or handgun to be advertised as for sale.
For handguns, a purchase permit (issued by the sheriff) is required-even between private parties. For longguns no paper work is required between NC residents. Out of state sales require going through an FFL. I'd like to know what kind of liability the board owner is worried about. I see none. No flame here, just curious about the decision.
From the for sale FAQ:
NO posting of guns for sale - This includes ANY type of gun. Don't post it. It is a liability issue that the board will not accept.

There is a lot more to it then that.
Do you know who you are selling to? Do you know what a CCP for all 100 counties looks like as with the permits they are all different. People try to pass a copy and fakes all the time. You can use CCP in place of pistol permit.
The laws change each day and they are hard to follow. Can you do a background check on someone? No not without a FFL. New law about trigger locks needed to sell guns. Where does it say out of state sales go through FFL there are ways they don't need to if the law in the place is the same as ours. Short barrel shotgun age limit?
Bottom line is that if the site is taged for selling firearms and any sales go south it will make the group look bad and the person running it have problems.
Think of it this way, in your house you look after it your way. You chose to let things happen or stop them because you dont like the outcome.
FYI
A lot of sites do not let you sell guns. Ebay is a bigone.
If you want to sell try guns america . com or auction arms . com
I would love to sell and trade on this board, the people are cool and the outdoor type but there are a lot of collector boards on the web and this is a 4x4 group. For that matter it would be nice to see nothing but 4x4 stuff or stuff used on or around 4x4's for sale. I remember looking in the for sales and nothing close to 4x4 stuff in the first 10-15 posts.
But really the bottom line is what the owners and people that want to gun to board want to do ane we follow or not.
BTW I think Rob and his partners in crime do a good job with the board.

If you have something that is yours and is a gun we sell for people all the time at the Gunshop, cover your but and if it's not a good friend or family sell it at a shop and do the paperwork.

Jon

Mr. Gadget, I'll respond to each of your questions/statements individually so it'll be less confusing.

MR. GADGET said:
There is a lot more to it then that.
Do you know who you are selling to?

--> B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Do you know what a CCP for all 100 counties looks like as with the permits they are all different. People try to pass a copy and fakes all the time. You can use CCP in place of pistol permit.
---> Private sales between individuals (long guns) require only age and residency verification, no CHP is needed. Laws can easily be broken if one chooses to do so. That holds true in all things.

The laws change each day and they are hard to follow.
----> Agreed. Thats why it's wise to check the BATF FAQ page. It is well written in a Q and A format.

Can you do a background check on someone? No not without a FFL.
----> I have no legal need to do a background check to sell a NC resident a firearm. I think you're confused on this one.

New law about trigger locks needed to sell guns.
---> The law says that firearm manufacturers must provide a lock. Private sales are exempt.

Where does it say out of state sales go through FFL there are ways they don't need to if the law in the place is the same as ours.
---> All sales between residents of different states must go through an FFL.
No provision or mention is made for exemptions.

Short barrel shotgun age limit?
---> A SBR requires submittal of a form 3 to BATFE and a tax paid to them. The CLEO of the county that you reside must sign off for a NC resident to own a SBR. Again, I think you're confused. If you own a SBR, you cannot sell/transfer it to anyone without that person filing the required paperwork and paying the transfer tax.

Jon,

Please check this site for reference on transfer of firearms between individuals:
It has a FAQ section that clears up alot of questions.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

Bottom line is that if the site is taged for selling firearms and any sales go south it will make the group look bad and the person running it have problems.
Think of it this way, in your house you look after it your way. You chose to let things happen or stop them because you dont like the outcome.
FYI
A lot of sites do not let you sell guns. Ebay is a bigone.
If you want to sell try guns america . com or auction arms . com
I would love to sell and trade on this board, the people are cool and the outdoor type but there are a lot of collector boards on the web and this is a 4x4 group. For that matter it would be nice to see nothing but 4x4 stuff or stuff used on or around 4x4's for sale. I remember looking in the for sales and nothing close to 4x4 stuff in the first 10-15 posts.
But really the bottom line is what the owners and people that want to gun to board want to do ane we follow or not.
BTW I think Rob and his partners in crime do a good job with the board.
If you have something that is yours and is a gun we sell for people all the time at the Gunshop, cover your but and if it's not a good friend or family sell it at a shop and do the paperwork.
Jon

End of debate, take it to emails, PM's, whatever. We made the desision long ago, and it's staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back