Flashover

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Video from a fire in NYC this morning. Flashover at 0:14. Look close, you can see it suck in at 0:13+

Video from a fire in NYC this morning. Flashover at 0:14. Look close, you can see it suck in at 0:13+

The smoke said it all... wth

I know I shouldn’t hijack this,

But solids and liquids can burn also.

The actual liquid or solid doesn't burn. It's a term called "pyrolysis," where the solid is decomposing due to heat exposure. That's why flames from the item burning aren't actually touching the material.

In liquids, the fuel must be vaporized before it may burn.

You're both right.

The actual liquid or solid doesn't burn. It's a term called "pyrolysis," where the solid is decomposing due to heat exposure. That's why flames from the item burning aren't actually touching the material.

In liquids, the fuel must be vaporized before it may burn.

You're both right.

Not arguing, I don’t want the post to read that way:

What about manganese/magnesium/lithium/soldium or other metal burning?

That’s slightly different than a flash fire from metal dust/corn dust/sugar dust? Those require the correct oxy mixture, in my mind the dust of solid particles behaves similar to a vapor?

I understand that most liquids turn to vapor before ignition, but what about solids that burn at temps far below their melting point. I know it has to do with rapid oxidation as well as molecular bonds being broken due to combustion.

I’m definitely no expert on this just curious.

I couldn't see it here, but on TV & my 55" screen, I did notice the "Suck in", before it blew out! That's a "Backdarft" as FD calls it. Fire doesn't have enough oxygen to properly burn, until something creates an opening to a fresh supply of oxygen. Oxygen is sucked in by the vacuum, hits the fire, & Bang! The effect of throwing Gasoline on a fire :kaioken:

Back