Flatfendered my TJ this afternoon

ProjekTJ

Well after a long put off...I finally bit it and flatfendered my TJ this afternoon after the rain stopped. I read a lot about what kind of cutting method to use. I already had an Angle Grinder so I went ahead with it. I taped off the area where the cut was being made, used a new 4 1/2" X .045" X 7/8" metal cutting blade, and a flapper wheel for cleanup. I made a couple of passes to avoid heating the paint to much. I may go back and round off the area where the last mounting hole for the flare is, but for right now it'll do. The OEM turn signals are zip tied to existing holes on the bracing. That is also temporary, I'll probably use a smaller light recessed into the wheel well some how. That'll come later.
All in all I'm happy with the way it turned out. I have since added some of the black door molding to avoid slicing myself, tires, or others. My advice to anyone thinking of doing it is: Hike up your skirt and do it. That's what I had to do.

Here are the pictures for all to flame up. :flipoff2: But like I said, I like it and think it turned out pretty decent for my first fender cutting attempt. If you've got any question or comments don't be afraid. I'll have a review tomorrow (Sunday) hopefully. I'm heading to Uwharrie to try out the new tires and I'll check on the fenders while I'm at it.
Enjoy....

Before surgery
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v443_ProjekTJ_Jeep_20Pics_PDR_0013.jpg

The Cutting
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v443_ProjekTJ_Flatfender_PDR_0017.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v443_ProjekTJ_Flatfender_PDR_0016.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v443_ProjekTJ_Flatfender_PDR_0020.jpg

More pics

Almost done
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v443_ProjekTJ_Flatfender_PDR_0026.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v443_ProjekTJ_Flatfender_PDR_0023.jpg

Done, for now...
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v443_ProjekTJ_Flatfender_PDR_0028.jpg

I've got more if you're interested. Let me know and I'll email them to you.

Looks good! Did you cut the rears too or did you just take the flares off?

I love the way the flat fenders look but dont have the balls to do mine yet.

I just took the flares off for the rear. At this point I won't be doing any cutting back there. That'll probably come later on.

Back