Flea, Tick, Heartworm Meds for Dogs

Cherokeekid88

Took our new puppy to the vet this morning just to have him checked out and he is a perfectly healthy good boy. The vet obviously wanted to start him on a flea, tick, and heartworm prevention and they gave us Simparica Trio, which is an all in one medicine. After reading a little bit about it, it seems like folks are having issues with seizures, gastrointestinal issues, and even death in some dogs. So I am a little weary of starting our new puppy on that. What are you all using on your own dogs?

Heartgard & NexGard for mine

Garlic oil is an excellent flea tick subsitute
There are gut and heart worm alternatives on the market that do work, that do not carry the manifesto side effect list most pharma does

Why do the worm eggs hatch in some in not others? It boils down to overall gut health. Short of dry dog food being worse than prison food, usually the ingredients are floor scrapping and carcass leftovers.

Ive done raw food for a number a years, and it can be done nearly as cheap as your typical "organic grainfree non gmo dry food". If budget is tight, even half raw half dry can be a big difference. I have personally witnessed more animal health reversals from a raw diet than i have many other things.

Last edited:
I love the idea of having an all in one pill that's once a month, just want to make sure its the right one for our dog.
I've heard good things about Sentinal and Trifexis . Simparica Trio seems to have alot of good reviews as well, but there seems to be a fair amount of not so good ones thrown in the mix, which I know is going to happen with anything.

But is there anything to giving them a separate heartworm med and a separate flea and tick med?

We use Sentinel Spectrum and Frontline Plus. Regarding administering separate medications, there are some outliers that one picks up which the other does not. For example, Sentinel Spectrum does nothing for ticks or adult fleas, but they both combat flea eggs from hatching. The newest edition to the family...

20230716_191559.jpg

Simparico also works amazing for ticks in our dog. He goes mtb, dirt biking, hiking in the woods with us all the time so it’s awesome for us

If you don’t trust what the vet is saying. May want to also look for a new vet?

Last edited:
Simpiraco here for us. This includes our pasture dogs who are out in the jing-weeds and I haven’t seen a flea or tick on them.

Note: we also have ducks, geese, turkeys, and chickens who roam and are literally insect Hoover vacuums.

I was talking to a Vet that I know that my wife is not very fond of, which is why we don't go to her and she told me that she doesn't like to push the combo flea, tick, and heartworm meds due to complications that can happen with them. She recommends a separate flea and tick prevention and separate heartworm prevention given once a month on different weeks.

But, It is comforting that you all that are using it are having good experiences.

Heartgard and nexgard for us.

for my cane corso its a sorestro collar and interceptor plus.

Back