Flex plate removal

98zjstroker

OK so I've got the 4.0 out of my ZJ and ready to dismantle. Before I can get the engine on the stand I need to remove the flex plate. There are 6 bolts Holding the flex plate on to the motor. I seem to be having some trouble getting them off. Do I need an impact drill or is there a way I can prevent the motor from turning over when I try and unbolt them

Thanks @Jody Treadway and @a_kelley. I tried the screw driver trick but couldn't get it to catch on anything. Will try again tomorrow. Was to tired and gave up. Besides my motorcycle kept asking me to ride it instead......so I did. @a_kelley would a regular impact that goes to my compressor not work?

Like I said if you install a bolt one of the holes, put your pry bar into the flywheel teeth and pivot it on the bolt, and then should be able to turn the bolt loose without too much trouble. Or just pick up a HF earthquake 1/2" gun for like $60. You can always use it for lots more stuff. I'd recommend having at least a 8 gallon compressor.. I prefer oil lube pumps over oil less.. they don't burn up piston rings when run continuously.. I had said cordless because I didn't know if you had a compressor and they work awesome if you go to change a tire on the side of the road .. or trail.

Can’t a friend hold the bolt on the harmonic balancer while you get the flex plate off? Any parts store should sell a cheap tool that bites into the flex plate teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back