Floor jacks

My jack is leaking down worse now. I am thinking about buying a new one. I get really annoyed when it doesn't lift high enough, so I decided to research the different lift heights and specs. I decided to post this up to help others. I'm thinking about the one that goes over 24" high.

View attachment 276529
Saved.

Wife's yukon xl has a tire with a slow leak. Put my jack (old northern tool one I think) under it, get rear tire off the ground, slowly rotating tire, tire touches ground... jack it up again, rotate, leaks down... I've already added oil to it a year or so ago, guess it's time to replace.

My jack is leaking down worse now. I am thinking about buying a new one. I get really annoyed when it doesn't lift high enough, so I decided to research the different lift heights and specs. I decided to post this up to help others. I'm thinking about the one that goes over 24" high.

View attachment 276529

As an excel junky...I appreciate this. But as a finance guy, you're missing cost per overall height...cost per net sweep...and of course the all important 'sonuvabitch, this is heavy' to usage ratio.

View attachment 276529

I have been looking for a new one as well and saw a coupon for the Daytona Professional at $179 vs $200. expires end of September. Sadly does not discount the weight of it too.

I used to constantly doing mobile service. Thought about getting aluminum but decided on whatever surface steel would hold up longer, but then again being lighter I wouldn't have been dropping it out the back and dragging across whatever surface.. not that I've ever used a jack to do anything it wasn't intended for any thing like that..

I used to constantly doing mobile service. Thought about getting aluminum but decided on whatever surface steel would hold up longer, but then again being lighter I wouldn't have been dropping it out the back and dragging across whatever surface.. not that I've ever used a jack to do anything it wasn't intended for any thing like that..
Well you are not the norm.

So how many of you guys are carrying a floor jack around that is meant to roll around. Only time I’ve ever picked mine up is when I bought it I think. It’s a 3.5 ton low profile high lift from Northern Tool that I’ve had 8-9 years and trouble free.

Haha, it happens more often than it should. My wife picked up a bolt in her RR tire last week that needed pulled and plugged. My floor jack had managed to get hemmed up behind my 14 bolt axle, so I had to pick it up. It doesn't bother me at all though. I go to the gym regularly, and pick up weights heavier than my jack for fun, LOL. I jacked up my wife's car , then went looking for a jack stand. I got back to the car, and it had already leaked down enough to need to be pumped back up some.

Well now it just sits in my shop and gets rolled around. Of course one of the wheels bent from dropping it so it's no longer rollable really. But it's like 8 years old and it's the hazard fraud low profile high lift one.

...and of course the all important 'sonuvabitch, this is heavy' to usage ratio.
This SobTU Ratio is what got this thread started in the first place.

I have been really happy with my Arcan HL3000. It slides across the garage floor very easily. I also have found I like having a rubber pad on the lift plate. Hadn't really thought about that.

What kind of markers are y'all using to outline your tools on your pegboards? I find that sharpies aren't holding up like I would have hoped. I'm looking for other options.

I've got the Orange harbor freight one that weighs 110 lb or so.
It's 13 years old. It literally stays outside. Like not under a cover, just in the yard . Still works. Oh yeah, it's bent from sinking in grass, and dropping a tractor a week after I got it.

What kind of markers are y'all using to outline your tools on your pegboards? I find that sharpies aren't holding up like I would have hoped. I'm looking for other options.
Spray paint!! Just put some paint prevention compound of some sort on the tools and spray away. Or don't, use black paint and use safety yellow orange or red on the tools alone and you won't have trouble finding them outside.

I've got the Orange harbor freight one that weighs 110 lb or so.
It's 13 years old. It literally stays outside. Like not under a cover, just in the yard . Still works. Oh yeah, it's bent from sinking in grass, and dropping a tractor a week after I got it.
If it can keep 2000psi of hydraulic fluid in, it can keep water out.

I use regular sharpies (name brand, not knockoffs) for marking stuff.
But I don't do this method, or the painting thing, for organization.
Instead, I came up w/ a color coding scheme for sizes I use a lot.
White = 10mm, light blue = 12mm, yellow = 13mm, dark blue = 14mm, red = 17mm, etc etc.
I then use that color tape, or a dab of paint, on every wrench or socket that size.
Then on the pegboard I have a swatch of the corresponding color where each goes.

I find this is super useful when I have a pile of wrenches a sockets laying at my feet beside the truck in the middle of a project, and I know I need the 13mm, super easy to pick up the right one.

What sucks is that HF now has color coated sockets. And their color scheme doesn't match what I arbitrarily made up years ago and am mentally stuck with. So... fuck them.

If it can keep 2000psi of hydraulic fluid in, it can keep water out.

Yeah the bigger issue could be rusting and pitting on the pushron which could damage the seal, but you already knew that.

Yall are a bunch of wimps. I carry one in my jeep everywhere I go.
upload_2018-9-21_11-48-1.png

That's his backyard not a proper trail

Pretty sure it's one of the D trails at Uwharrie, but it was long enough ago that the jeep still had tons under it.

Back