Ford 9" / Dana 60 Hybrid

Aggressive1

I run this idea through my head about once a month and just think...someday I will find a way....but not worth the trouble right now.

I am running a 9" rear and just swapped in a second one to build my suspension off of. So......I have a spare 9" housing here to play with that has TJ brackets welded on the tubes, so to do a custom suspension on it is too much work. So tubes would have to be cut and replaced. I am running a D44 front out of a 79 F100 that has the cast c's. I had no problem building brackets to work around the cast c's since they were cast steel and I could weld to them. But the set up is not pretty. Works well, but I want it to LOOK like it works well (by the way, that was my first fabrication job).
But I really wanna use a 9" center section up front (just because). So....I know its been done many times, but has anybody HERE done it using say 44 shafts (since I just got in superior chromoly shafts for the 9") and maybe chevy dana 60 outter knuckles for the flat tops and dana 44 1/2 ton brakes, etc. for the 5 on 5.5 lug patter? So basically, I see the hardest part is matching up the right inner c's and maybe retubing with new tube?

Oh and yes I have all the pirate articles on what chevy/ford outter parts will bolt up to get flat tops and keep 5 on 5.5, so thats not the info I am looking for, mostly looking for from the innner c's in.

Thinking out loud-

Dana 44 shafts.. how are you going to connect the inners to the outers?
Easy (best?) way would be to use a 35-spline 9", and then just use 60 parts.

Now if i read that right, you want to use a 9" center, 60 knuckles and d44 shafts? You would have to use all d44 outters to cheaply keep the 5.5 lug, but then you loose the 35 spline capability, and thats not worth the fab time or money.

Im building front & rear 35 spline 60/9 hybrids right now for my new buggy.

Yeah, you understand what I am trying to do and fab time is not a concern if I can do this as a test project while still running with the 44.

I guess the flaw is that I bought the 4340 shafts for the 44. And there really is no need to DO what I am looking at, but I wanna test build a hybrid for experience and I have something set in my head about a 9".

So it would not be worth the time, but it is buildable. Where do I get inner c's? or is buying them aftermarket the only way.

You've got plenty of value in that empty housing. Would be a shame to hack it up. You could get a good headstart on the parts by selling it and getting a junkyard 9.

StudNuts said:
Now if i read that right, you want to use a 9" center, 60 knuckles and d44 shafts? You would have to use all d44 outters to cheaply keep the 5.5 lug, but then you loose the 35 spline capability, and thats not worth the fab time or money.
Im building front & rear 35 spline 60/9 hybrids right now for my new buggy.

Wheres the PIX of said buggy and/or axles etc.........come awn man:huggy:

Dave, some guys on Pirate were selling some inner Cs, just look around and you'll find them.

I'm thinking of going with Crane inners and may get rid of the ones I have, but I"m THINKING and haven't made up my mind yet.

Rob

Back