Ford 9 inch... Can it be used as a front axle?

Jeepjunky87

Does anyone have any info on converting a ford 9" rear end into a front axle with steering? Any ZJ guys done this? Or 8.8?? I can put my hands on both....

Last edited:
Just buy a center section, weld some tubes then some inner C's. It's a lot easier than you think. Research, google, pirate4x4 will have all your answers you need. But it's not hard building an axle for anything.

It can easily be done, but not for less than the cost of a Dana 60…

All depends if you're going to do chromoly shafts, locker and gears in the 60. That's easily $2k, both axles will need brackets welded on. Finding a f250 front d50 and using the inner c's (they are the same as ball joint 60 C's) then take a junk yard 9inch housing. Might be able to even reuse the tubes from the f250 since is going under a ZJ. You have to get creative and be pretty competent with fabbing to do it. You could probably do it and have gears lockers and maybe even chromo shafts for $1500.

All depends if you're going to do chromoly shafts, locker and gears in the 60. That's easily $2k, both axles will need brackets welded on. Finding a f250 front d50 and using the inner c's (they are the same as ball joint 60 C's) then take a junk yard 9inch housing. Might be able to even reuse the tubes from the f250 since is going under a ZJ. You have to get creative and be pretty competent with fabbing to do it. You could probably do it and have gears lockers and maybe even chromo shafts for $1500.

And then you break the pinion support.

The 9" is a great diff, but you can spend over $1500 just making the third reliable.

And then you break the pinion support.

The 9" is a great diff, but you can spend over $1500 just making the third reliable.

It could be a laundry list, all depending on tire size usage, driving style.

It could be a laundry list, all depending on tire size usage, driving style.

No, not exactly. Your grandma could break a stock 9" chunk. It really just comes down to bad luck.

Oh, and since we're talking 'budget' swaps, I'm assuming a high pinion third is off the table. In that case, don't forget about the $500 driveshaft that you'll need to reach the 9" pinion way down there in the dirt.

No, not exactly. Your grandma could break a stock 9" chunk. It really just comes down to bad luck.

Oh, and since we're talking 'budget' swaps, I'm assuming a high pinion third is off the table. In that case, don't forget about the $500 driveshaft that you'll need to reach the 9" pinion way down there in the dirt.

Yeah that's a good point. Those hi-9 thirds aren't cheap and the currie ones ditch the 3rd support bearing. What size tire is this guy running anyway?

paradisepwoffroad has a "609" for sale. PM him!.

Yes... know the "hi-nines" aren't really 9" ring and pinions. They are 8.8 ring and pinions, which have no pinion support.

I would recommend getting a nodular iron pig. I built a hi-nine in a rear that has been mercilessly abused for a couple of years with 38" tires with no issues.

paradisepwoffroad has a "609" for sale. PM him!.

Yes... know the "hi-nines" aren't really 9" ring and pinions. They are 8.8 ring and pinions, which have no pinion support.

I would recommend getting a nodular iron pig. I built a hi-nine in a rear that has been mercilessly abused for a couple of years with 38" tires with no issues.
For the record, that's the curry high pinion 9". The "hi nine" by truehi9 is virtually the same as a high end 9" center section just with reverse cut gears.

For the record, that's the curry high pinion 9". The "hi nine" by truehi9 is virtually the same as a high end 9" center section just with reverse cut gears.

Yeah they are a little limited by gear ratios but more than likely really strong. I don't have any first hand experience with them though.

And while we're correcting the record, it's Currie ;)

You can pick up a complete nodular 3rd member with whatever gears you want, detroit locker, daytona pinion support, and other nascar goodies for about $800-900 from the nascar shops. They are out of stock at http://www.roushyatesparts.com/Used-Racing-Products-s/108.htm but check ebay.

My opinion only.
Kingpin 60. Do not look back.
YMMV.

Back