Ford, Chevy, Dodge tow rig???

mmmkay325

Ok...looking for a new truck. There's a lot out there about the diff diesel eng. to go with and different trans. I'm getting all confused tryin' to short through it all. If someone doesn't mind takin' the time and is willing to help me out, i'm tryin' to figure out what truck would be good for me as a dd/tow rig. I'm looking at the f-250,350, chevy 2500, and dodge ram 2500. I'm look at at least a 2000 model and tryin' to keep it below $20k. So if someone could just give me the general basics of what to look for and what to stay away from. If you can help me get the ball rolling i'll search around the diesel boards and maybe it will make more sense to me. Thanks...and sorry if this has been covered before, I've looked through the other posts, but I was having a hard time keeping track of it all.

adam

#1) 2000+ and Diesel UNDER 20K...you are probably going to have a tough time getting much past a 00 or 01 in decent shape under that range

#2) FROM experience all make good and bad trucks, but steer clear of ANY early 6.0 (anything made before mid 05 IMHO) had an 04 motor was replaced 2x then swapped it for a gasser all with less than 30k on the odo ........

#3) for longevity stick manual tranny on all 3...

other than those 3 I will bow out to others who are more knowledgable

There's a really good pissing match on Pirate in the tow rig forum. To sum that one up for you, get what you want cause they all have some drawbacks. Since you're in the used market just try to find one in good shape and work on the price until it gets in your range. Stick shift is decent in all 3 and they can all be easily bombed (maybe not cheaply). Under 20k you'll probably be looking at 99-01 7.3 Fords and 99-01 CTDs with over 100k. It's hard to find a decent DMax for that price. Good luck with the search.

If I were looking myself. From all I have seen, noticed, and know of from friends and so on. I would look for a dodge with the cummins and a 6 speed, or the 5 speed. Next to that, I would look for a powerstroke, with a manual as well. As said, I would stay away from the auto's

shoot...

for the $3500 I spent on my '89 D350...I could buy a nice trailer and a lot of diesel for the other $16,500...:)

or, drop the ~$2500 on a grease system and have $14,000 to play with...;)

Greg

If you go with a GM, try to get at least an '01. The old 6.5's are gutless. Also, stay away from GM's manual transmission equipped trucks. The transmission is not the problem, yet the flywheel is. I'd go auto all the way with GM. You won't regret the Allison if you maintain it properly.

Ford...7.3 and stick.

Dodge....stick.

I prefer the Dodges. Ive got a 05 2500 and i love it. I put on the Banks 6-Gun system and can do doughnuts on 35 ProComp ATs. Drawbacks... Auto trans sorta suxky, mine has 17k on and im having troubles with converter shake in hard pulls but thats mainly due to the Banks and my foot :D If i had it to do over i would get a manual and upgrade the clutch.

maulcruiser said:
If you go with a GM, try to get at least an '01. The old 6.5's are gutless.

Not only are they gutless, they are not as reliable as a Cummins (especially a 12-valve Cummins). For me, the 6.5 is more complicated, not as heavy-duty, and doesn't make as much power, so not really what I'm looking for. Sure, if I got a smokin deal on one I would drive it, but definitely my last choice among big-three turbo-diesels.

Well took a trip to look at the new trucks at a couple of dealerships yesterday. Looked at the fords and didn't see anything that really jumped out at me. Took a gander at the Dick Keffer at the the GMC Sierra 06 w/ ally and dmax- had a friend that worked there. Really nice truck but the $48k and $680 a month payments weren't gonna fly w/ the wife right now. Anyhow it looks like i'm gonna be going used for sure.
So with that said looking at a 98' or so dodge and then maybe 01' chevy silverado. The ol' truck trader i was looking through had some under $20k w/ close to 100,000 miles. I know you have all said to stay away from the auto's unless it's an allison, and from what i've read this is how most people feel, but my question is are the auto just that horrible all around or just for pulling and getting something that used are the auto even gonna be more of a problem dependin' on how the previous owner ran his truck?? Do the tranny's go out every 100,000 mile or something under normal use.....or is it like something had have do around 300,000. Just curous what exactly ya'll mean by stay clear of the autos?
I'm having a feelin' it may be kinda tough just findin' a 3/4ton diesel in a used car lot, but am i just asking for it w/ any other auto i get than chevy's? If you guys could just help me w/ some more pointers on the older fords, chevy, dodge???

are the 99-01 w/ the 7.3 fords the best??? anything else need to look for?

99-01 CTDs over 100,000 is that bad??? i've heard people say after that many the diesel are just gettin' broken in, but are they other parts that are $$$ that are about to go w/ over 100,000.

Thanks guys

Back