forum on work computer not updating

Chuckman

ok, so on my personal laptop and my iPhone, everything is fine, but on my work PC I can't see any posts newer than 2 weeks old. I can see on the main forum page the newest posts on a particular category, but when I open up that category, that post isn't visible, if I go back and click the link from the homepage it just says 'link not valid, contact administrator'. for instance, if Im looking at the entire forum and scroll to swap meet, I can see something particular, like 'set of 4 TSLs for sale'. as the last post - shown at the right of 'tires and wheels' but when I open tires and wheels, that post isn't included. if I go back up a level, and click directly on 4 TSLs for sale, I get the contact administrator prompt. does that make sense as an explanation?

Yeah.... but... WTF. That doesn't make any sense.

Let me think about it, see if I can come up w/a reason that's happening.

Is this new? A recent development? Has your work computer worked fine in the past? I guess the easiest place to start is w/deleting the NC4x4 cookies on that machine. Try another browser (if you have one), too. Chrome instead of IE, IE instead of Firefox, etc.

board woes

ok, so deleted cookies and history. still same. the most obvious is when I look at PMs. right when I get on the board it says I have 2 pms' and it says last time visited is 'yesterday at 10/18/11'. so when I click on pms' it takes me there and all of a sudden the day is correct and those 2 new pms arent there anymore because its 12/5.

I did dig around some more.
for instance: go into tires and wheels. last post is X. then I change the sort by date so its oldest on top. then change it back (newest on top) and suddenly the newest (newer than X) appears. This new 'newest' post is the same post as whats on the home page.
:shaking:

Hmm... are all your work machines the same way?

I'm leaning toward it being a bad proxy cache or something. Basically, you've got a server that saves pages pulled from the internet, and then resends the saved version when you ask, rather than fetching a new one.

Did this just start recently?

Yeah, the only thing we do on our end is tell your browser to save static files (jpegs, gifs, etc) for seven days before requesting new copies. Everything else is generated on the fly and sent out when you request it.

Oh, and I guess we've got the opcode cache, but I don't see it causing a problem like this... and if it did, everybody would be having it.

It's more likely a problem with either the work computer itself or the network it's connecting through.

Agreed... don't use or support IE anymore, but seems there's a couple cache/optimization parameters that will exhibit this behavior. If the OP didn't change anything, it may have been an update or GPO set at the domain level.

Maybe we'll hear back on browser/OS/environment

went to work the other day after being out a couple days. got a new PC. issues went with old unit. go figure.

Back