Front shock mounts done....

spraypaintman

I got the kit from Blue Torch Fab. It came with everything you need to install your shocks. I just had to cut to fit and weld it all up. It came with the hoops, extra bracing, mounting tabs & grade 8 bolts with lock nuts.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_shocktower.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_googoo.jpg

I might end up bracing the towers with some more tube since the kit came with extra tubing & if I need longer shocks I can always weld the bottom mount to the axle tube to accept the longer shock.

:beer:

All that stuff looks "too" new Noah. I think you need to get it out on the trail!
Looking good though.

Thanks, yep it's all waaay too clean.

I wanted to mount the shock wider to prevent swap (YJ SOA) but I think the shocks mounts work to fight wheel hop better either in front of or behind the axle.

I got the 1.25" tube .120" wall. Seems beefy enough for me. Good deal too at $64.99 for the kit.

114shocktowerkit.jpg

:D

No offense to you Scott. :beer:

The Blue Torch Kit is just more complete & I didn't feel like hunting and ordering all of the small parts.(To inform everyone else. I asked Scott for a price on some shock hoops only & he quoted me $50)

What cute little shocks...

Oh ok gotcha jdub. I'll probably do my rear shocks like this......

DSC01792.jpg

Rich said:
What cute little shocks...

My rig is not as tall as your rig so I don't need super long shocks. :D LOL

I'm gonna use what I have for now and then get longer ones if need be.

spraypaintman said:
Oh ok gotcha jdub. I'll probably do my rear shocks like this......

DSC01792.jpg

You may want to see what Rich chimes in about the /\ style of mounting rear shocks. I think he found they were not nearly as effective...

Nice hoops btw...you gonna be ready for the after Thxgiving trip?

Sam

Thanks Sam, not effective...how? I know they will flex good that way.

If you're trying to go under a body tub and won't cut it, you don't have much choice but to angle them.

Yes, shocks mounted like that are less effective in damping movement as they would be mounted straight up and down, so choose your shocks accordingly.

Funny you mention "flex" and have those little 9" travel shocks? :flipoff2:

Here's a chart about angling the shocks and their effectiveness, courtesy of http://www.4x4review.com/feature/shock-genius.asp

shock-genius-1.gif

Honestly, that's why making shock mounts are always the last thing that I/we do when doing suspension builds. I would have put the front mounts right on the axle, and just planned on using longer shocks. Based off the height of the top mount vs. the bottom mount, you could get a pretty decent idea of how long of a shock you could run before you twist it up to see how much compression you can get...

Different strokes fer different folks..

Hey, thanks for the link Rich.

And my little shocks have 13" of travel! LOL :flipoff2: I know big whoop.

Preciate the info. I wish I could buy some long blingin' shocks but my wallet is thin now with my new son Jonathan. So my old shocks will have to do for now. Check out the booty fab on my rear shocks. I installed them for fun! :D

My anti-wrap shock system :D ....kinda hard to see them but they are angled almost horizontile...probably more like 45deg.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_54b60cf7.jpg

Those are 13" travel? wow.. they just look short in the pic... oh well.

Yeah, i don't really know. But they are on the short side. How much travel do your shocks have and what kind are they?

Bilstein 5125, 14" travel, 20.75" compressed, 34.9" extended

They are only 10" travel shocks. I measured them last night. 3.5" of up travel and 6.5" of down travel. Maybe Santa will get me some new Bilstein's. :D

Back