Front tow points for K5..

Nissan11

Ive got a 85 K5 Blazer and need to make a tow point for the front of the truck. Is it ok to pull from the shackles or do I need to weld a hook to the chassis somewhere? Are 2" reciever hitches strong enough to be jerked on? Thanks.

The Rear reciever hitches are fine (class 3 or better) you can just put the loop from a tow strap in the tube and use the pin for the hitch to secure it.
For your front do not use the shakels!!!! A good solution for your truck would be to use a Military chevy truck front bumper that has tow points allready or build a custom one. there are many guys here who could help you with that for a few $$$

here is what I made for my truck

j10_001.jpg

Or there are factory front tow hooks available - my 90 Burb and 90 K5 have them. They bolt to the frame and are stout. Check on ColoradoK5.com - maybe post up there and see if you can get some used ones cheap. I believe you need them for 81 and newer, because the front of the frame where the bumper mounts changed around 80 or 81. Not sure if the older style hooks are a bolt on.

thecarman has it right. get the factory hooks from an 80-91 K5 or Suburban. Or, you can get the better beef in the form of shackle brackets from the military K5's and pickups. You'll have to get the bumper as well, or cut the holes in your bumper to allow the shackle brackets to protrude out of.

Back