Front YJ stretch question

khwrx

Ok heres the question i have . i have a 92 yj with stock leafs and i was going to run waggy springs to stretch the front some but my problem is with the factory yj leafs my steering is almost parallel . Ill try to get a pic of what im talking about . just looks like its going to be alot of work and possibly parts to get this done. just wanted some input

Here's the best pic I could find as of now .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383240013.960720.jpg

In your case, it seems that you would need to move the steering box forward some too or lose the high steer. Not a bad project at all.

You can use a Chevy astro van box if you stretch it out a good bit. The box swings the opposite way but still bolts up the same as a factory yj box.

Run a Waggy pitman arm perhaps? They are flat and may allow for more clearance. Aside from that, it seems a box relocation or Astro box is in your future if you plan to stretch the front.

im thinkin if i did that and moved it forward two inchs my tie rod would be directly under my pitman arm.

If you did this in conjunction with a flat pitman arm like waggy or scout you will likely be ok. Also the scout arm is longer, so might help even more.

If you did this in conjunction with a flat pitman arm like waggy or scout you will likely be ok. Also the scout arm is longer, so might help even more.

hmmm, you got me thinking now ! :) id also like to stretch the rear of my yj more, its only stretched an inch from the spring perch right now and the D60 diff cover is kissing the tank skid .

waggy springs can give you what you want in the rear also... Take a look on top of your skid, many times there are a few inches gap between the skid and tank. I have even seen folks "massage" them both for the extra clearance. Ive also heard of folks able to raise the skid/tank up next to the floor to gain a few inches of up travel.

I use xj springs turned backward. Also, I have spring purches that have offset center hole. I think I got them from Barnes.

If you are going to use XJ springs, run two main leafs in the stack if you do want to keep replacing bent ones.

Back