Frontier leaking coolant

Nissan11

My 02 nissan frontier (3.3L) has been leaking coolant for a few months now. At first it was a slow leak only when cold, now its a faster leak only when the engine is hot, about 2-3 drops per second. I can not see where the leak is. I pulled the radiator and shroud and layed on the motor and stuck my head down near the fan but I couldnt see anything except some coolant in this area...
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_IMG_2772.jpg

There is coolant under where the hose attaches to the motor in this location. The hose and clamp are dry, the leak is somewhere deeper. It seems to be coming from under the intake manifold. You can see a damp spot in the left side of the picture.
ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_IMG_2773.jpg

What could it be? Im considering taking it to a shop this weekend because I just dont feel like dealing with this.

Check just under the throttle on the intake manifold. There is some kind of coolant valve/switch under the throttle that the actually pulley contacts. Mine has a leak there and it will drip down into the engine just like your pic. I looked for the blasted leak for months before I finnaly seen this valve had turned green and there was a wet drip on a bracket below it. I bet this is the source of yours too.

FYI this is called the cold idle control or wax thermo element and apparently it is a common issue on 3.3L

Can any shop do a pressure test? Should I just removie the intake manifold and have a look? I was really wanting to avoid that...

Kevin, there isnt coolant in the oil.

i wouldnt remove the manifold for it. Should be able to just do a "feel" test there under the throttle. One of the parts store chains does loan a tester just cant remember who.

Tonight I started the long process of removing the intake manifold to access the hoses underneath. I found this hose after I removed the upper belt and pulley assembly. The coolant in the background did not spill out of that hose when I removed it, it's from the leak. Is it likely this hose was the problem and it was squirting coolant under the intake when it was under pressure? I don't know if I should replace that hose and put everything back together to try it or just keep going and pull the intake. Any opinions?

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_4381_1.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_6360.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_0798.jpg

I would replace the seal around here, thermosat (since you got it pulled this far) and the hose. Be sure to get that corrosion/ mud off before you slap a new hose on.

Attachments

• IMG_6360.jpg
    IMG_6360.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 344
I took it to merchants whotold me the plastic heater coil had deteriorated and that is the problem. They said the dash has to be removed and it would cost over $1000. I don't know what to do.

I'm going to go look at it soon. They said where the hose attaches to the core is the issue. I'll take some pictures. I'm definitely going to be looking for somebody that can change it out for cheaper than $1000

I went and looked at it today. There was a pin hole in the motor side of the heater hose. When removing the hose, the nipple on the heater core broke. There is a crack in it that goes all the way through the firewall. What are my options? I'm thinking about cutting a hole in the firewall to possible see if I can get a hose further down the pipe where it isn't cracked.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_3301.jpg

Back