Garage doors

Keith1138

Anyone in the Charlotte area fix garage doors or know someone that does.

Back ground information:

A couple months ago the motor went out so i replaced it with another with the same specs. Now the torquemaster torsion rod springs broke. I ordered a kit from the manufacturer that replaced both springs, cable drums and tension gears to the torquemaster pro/plus. I followed the instructions to the letter. And double checked my cable length and made sure to keep track of number of rotation on the springs. Did this by drawing a line on the socket and counting how many times it went by.

So i manually lifted the door 3 inches to make sure it was going to lift evenly and to double check everything. So when I plug the motor in and reconnected the trolly. Then when i hit the botton to open it seemed to have pushed the track out about 4 inches and bent it and some how this side ended up being 8 inches higher.

Right now I got the door to closed and the tension released on the torsion rod.

Pics are of the style of torsion rod will get pics of the real door once I go back down stairs
f6e5e9266f222db3a1eb3a5250f0224c.jpg
ba877e18c8ff85191b58729a79e728f8.jpg
e6a7a0d03bdc2c69bcf9afcef791fcf5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My carnage
3bd4ad2f74aad19cf2d8159ca38ed56f.jpg
550b98aeea10e5e9e81092f73b1f3379.jpg
598c2ab8ea0c15d2781d214ef66d5fa1.jpg
1fad9c7c43ad602038f5d56f314d821d.jpg
95df4b5c20564841e5f47db26972f4c5.jpg
293015b51b38985cb56ee990680b9280.jpg
955fd12428cf346f73d221913f727b56.jpg
af82089af51d8101462776b0d8eb0447.jpg
473bdf62acf1af2b050abf69773c8b20.jpg

Jerry Wells, JSM Garage Door Co / Remodeling, is who I used. I met him when I moved to Mount Holly. When I was ready for doors [2] I called him. I think he's in Cherryville now, but he travels all over doing Commercial work. Seems his business # is still 704-869-8989. Or I have his cell # as 704-913-5427. He did excellent work for me, at a reasonable price! May take him a few days to get to you. Family operated business.

This was my nightmare, had a torsion spring break about a month ago, decided I didn’t really know what I was doing, nor did I want to. Called the guys that handle the overheads at work...$200 (including parts) and about an hour (I think the wife bought them pizza too) and I didn’t have to lift a finger, my garage door worked again. Website says they serve surrounding areas...Edit...and they arrived next day within 10 minutes of the scheduled time.

Perry's Overhead Doors, LLC | Salisbury, NC | Garage Door Service & Installation

Last edited:
Thank yall both. A part of me wants to get out there and finished it since I started the project but at the same time I dont want to mess anything else up.

Screw working on a garage door spring. I had a door at work that wouldn't stay up unless you got it to stop in the exact right spot. I have seen the door guys adjust tension dozens of times and it's pretty simple. A few set screws, two rods, easy peasy. I got one side tightened up no problem. When I went to the other side I got a little cocky and didn't pay attention to which way I was holding the rod when I released the last set screw. It flung that 1/2" rod out at the speed of light straight down my chest. Knocked a good 3" of skin off and felt like I had been shot. F that noise. Never messing with another one again. I still have a big ol' scar to remind me how stupid I am.

Screw working on a garage door spring. I had a door at work that wouldn't stay up unless you got it to stop in the exact right spot. I have seen the door guys adjust tension dozens of times and it's pretty simple. A few set screws, two rods, easy peasy. I got one side tightened up no problem. When I went to the other side I got a little cocky and didn't pay attention to which way I was holding the rod when I released the last set screw. It flung that 1/2" rod out at the speed of light straight down my chest. Knocked a good 3" of skin off and felt like I had been shot. F that noise. Never messing with another one again. I still have a big ol' scar to remind me how stupid I am.

There is enough energy in one of those springs to kill someone, so it's a good idea to know exactly how to work on one safely (including not standing in the same plane as the winding bar).

There is enough energy in one of those springs to kill someone, so it's a good idea to know exactly how to work on one safely (including not standing in the same plane as the winding bar).
That's why the only reason I decided to attempt it myself because on the torquemasters the springs are contained inside of a tube and you just use a ratchet and 5/8 socket to adjust the tension.

Which is why I thought $200 and pizza was a fair trade

The sad thing is that I knew that going into it. I've heard plenty of time's how dangerous they are. If I had had that rod in the next hole up it would have only moved an inch or two and hit the wall and I could have laughed it off and kept going. It only takes one miscalculation.

I smacked myself in the head with a winding bar. Luckily it was on a worn out spring with barely any tension on it. Went smooth after that.

It is finally fixed after talking to multiple companies trying to find one that serviced the wayne dolton torquemasters. Dependable dock and door was the first one i found. They sent a guy out and got it fixed. Turned out the bracket the end of the cable connects to had shifted and bent up. It was almost cut all the way through by the old cable after 19 years of use.

Other companies were waiting four hundred dollars alone in parts to switch my system over to the standard external springs.

I'm surprised you had a problem finding someone to work on Wayne Dalton stuff.

I just googled "Wayne Dalton Concord" and saw a few service companies on the first page. Trust your Google Fu!

Some of them only do their doors.

I have a ex- brother in law in this business. Money seems stupidly lucrative when your willing to rip some folks off.

I have a ex- brother in law in this business. Money seems stupidly lucrative when your willing to rip some folks off.
I agree one quote I got from a company to switch the system to the standard springs was over 400 in parts only. The company I went with said parts would be around 150 to do it. But they were able to get it working.

I think it comes from the fact majority of the population dont understand how garage doors work and just want it fixed because they cant stand the fact to park outside.

Back