Gas In a Diesel

Banned User

2008 Super Duty diesel.

Someone I know accidently put gas in their 2008 Super Duty Diesel.:shaking:

Other than brain damage, what problems are they facing?

Ran fine for a few miles, then parked it, later it wouldnt crank. Looked at receipt for fuel and said, and i quote, "&@#:mad::kaioken:%(&!(%&)$&%)$&:flipoff:%)($&%!!!!!!!!!!!!"

How bad could it be and whats required to fix the problem?

And by the way, the way it happened was the station he usually goes to is set up like

|REG| |ULT| |PRE| DIE|

until they did some recent pump work.

Now the pump is

|DIE| |REG| |ULT| |PRE|
:shaking::shaking::shaking:

Someone I know

lol

See, I've got this, er, "friend", that says, um, He has this, er, itching problem, sometimes enflamed... what should I tell my "friend" to do?

Best quote i've read is, "Either something expensive will happen, or something very expensive will happen".
1st of all you need to get it out of there. Get out the pump!
Gas is designedn ot to ignite under compression like diesel, so even if you could get it going it'd run terribly and knock all over the place.

Aren't diesel nssels a different size, just to avoid thsi kind of thing?

lol
See, I've got this, er, "friend", that says, um, He has this, er, itching problem, sometimes enflamed... what should I tell my "friend" to do?
Best quote i've read is, "Either something expensive will happen, or something very expensive will happen".
1st of all you need to get it out of there. Get out the pump!
Gas is designedn ot to ignite under compression like diesel, so even if you could get it going it'd run terribly and knock all over the place.
Aren't diesel nssels a different size, just to avoid thsi kind of thing?
Don't you have something like 16 years of education? :flipoff2:

You can bet your butt they'll find out too, they look for any and everything to get out of a warranty repair.

to attempt to completely confuse the issue, you'll need to drain the ENTIRE fuel system, Tank, filters, pumps, fuel rails. this is time consuming and expensive, especially if the engine don't run. This is the first step a tech (should) take if he knows what happened going in.

Gasoline will seize an injector (yes there are moving parts inside), and frag and injection pump quite easily and quickly. it's about the equivelent of using water in place of oil in the crank case.

it's gonna be expensive any way you look at it. It would have been MUCH better if he'd noticed before he started the engine. then it's just tow it somewhere, drain the tank and fill the tank.

wha will probably happen, you will hope the tech isn't a complete ass and recommned total replacement of the fuel components, and actually drain and clean the system, then see if he can get it to start and go from there. there my be very little damage. Hopefully just a siezed supply pump or the like.

it'll be better for him if he fesses up, anything he tries to do toward warranty will kick back if/when found out, and it'll get VERY expensive from there. Not to mention, any warranty will be void from that point. If the service manager isn't a total prick, he'll work with you and acknoledge you fawked up, and not black ball the warranty as you were straight up with them.

it's gonna suck, no 2 ways about it.

Might not be that bad. Depends on how much gas and how much diesel there is in the tank. Drain everything and try again. It's not like it fragged anything internal, it just won't start.

Well since it would void the warranty at the dealership, would it be better to take it somewhere else that wont know about the warranty, or take it to them since they know the truck.

NO way I would take that thing to the stealership. I'd find a small shop that works on diesel trucks.

I'm not sure how it would work on a new diesel, but one of my employees once put 10 gallons of gas in a 01 7.3. I poured in a gallon of motor oil to mix with it, no problems what so ever.

Well since it would void the warranty at the dealership, would it be better to take it somewhere else that wont know about the warranty, or take it to them since they know the truck.

Knowing the issues they have had with the 6.4, parts like injection pumps, supply pumps, injectors could be on parts restriction, which in many cases requires a VIN to purchase the parts, and if there is no CASE number to relate the parts too, it could also flag the truck.

It may be worth a shot to have a smaller shop try it, but they also may not have the required programming to assist in diag and repair proceedures yet.

Sorry I came across as doom and gloom in the first post, having worked at a GM dealership and ealing directly with the diesel warranty issues at the time, I don't suspect Ford would be much different.

Gas in diesel

As a Ford diesel tech I see this quite a bit. On newer vehicles you dont really have to worry about it causing any damage. What I do is just suck all the fuel out of the tank and fill it up with diesel fuel and baby it for a few miles until it clears out. I guess since the diesel nozels are the same size as the gas nozels at 98% of the stations its possible to screw it up. I remember when bp took over amaco stations and they made the 87 octane handle green. Business was good then. If you have any questions let me know. You cant get your warrenty voided for putting gasoline in it.

You must have service managers and manf reps who have a heart, been my experiance that it rarely turns out good for the owner, must be a GM thing. glad I'm not part of it anymore.

You must have service managers and manf reps who have a heart, been my experiance that it rarely turns out good for the owner, must be a GM thing. glad I'm not part of it anymore.

Well, the biggest thing is that the service mgrs and reps dont have to know anyting. They know nothing more then we tell them. So if you come in with gas in your diesel the only people that know are you, the tech and the service writer. A good service writer knows where the money is. Its in the Diesel bays. Same goes for chips, programers and the like. Nobody needs to know there on there because its very rare that any of those things cause any problems. I've had a hand in building 2 6.0's that are running 11.5 second 1/4's and both weigh in over 8000 lbs. They get warrenty work to. Unless the aftermarket products cause the problem i'm gonna work on it. I've had people come in with gas in there diesel and it was the stations fault. Cant void there warrenty for that. Its all in how you operate.

He can bring it to my shop, I would drain the tank and the lines, change the filter and add tranny fluid to the filter, fill her up with diesel and run it. I work on a tow truck for a guy hes done it twice its still fine, it is true though the injection pump is bound to have a much shorter life it cetiantly requires the lube of diesel as do the injectors.

Back