gasoline fuel tank for diesel use?

orange150

I'm looking to increase the range of my truck.. eventually. My buddy with a early 90's bronco was saying why not just use a bronco style fuel tank to replace the rear tank on my truck (uses the front and rear tank system)? My concerns are with using a tank meant for gas but using diesel and with the sending unit and all.
My truck is a '97 PSD, so I'm thinking the bronco style tank "should" just bolt right up. I would obviously buy a new tank... unless y'all think I could use a good used one?
Thanks!

tank is a tank.

unless its intake fuel pump style. then it will have a baffle to catch fuel.

and some diesel tanks have bigger inlet pipe welded to them.

and the sender is diffrent line configuration.

but if you on the cheep and got the parts. it can be done and work fine.

I helped a friend of mine do this a few years ago. What we did was ose a fuel tank off of a road tracter and let it self siphon into the vent hose of the factory fuel tank, very simple and foolproof. We vented the aux tank into the same vent hose about 10 inches higher so it would be a cleaner way to vent the aux. We put a 12volt switch and valve in line so he could cut off or on as he drove,all he had to do was check his factory fuel gauge as he drove and fill as needed. As a safety,I wired the hot wire into the ignition switch and when he cuts off the truck it also cuts power to the switch and valve as to not overfill if forgotten.
We added 100 gallons to his capacity so we could travel to Moab and back together(my coach holds 150 gallons). He still uses the tank because when the price of fuel drops he loads up and saves money. The reason we used a fuel tank off of a big truck it was already DOT certified. I had a friend of mine busted for using a "transfer tank" from Northern and was plumbed into his truck and was fined $800 by the state of Tennesee! Those tanks are not DOT approved as fuel tanks.

Back when I had the '92 F250 (7.3L NA), I used a pair of (close year model) GAS tanks to replace the leaking DIESEL tanks. Since I reused the diesel pumps/senders, I had to cut notches where the tabs on the senders needed to be, rather than where the notches for the gas senders were. Except for that, they were identical in every way.

Worked fine for me and are still working for the fellow that bought it 3-4 years ago...

Yes, you can use a bronco tank in the rear. You just lose the spare tire mount. Get the tank straps and jbolts from a bronco. Do a search on thedieselstop under the 94-97 stroke section. I would buy new tank to do it. They are pretty cheap anyway.

Back