Geo tracker sidexside

GOAT

I got a chance to get a tracker for free. Needs some work because people tried to work on it. But it’s free an hard to turn down. I looked for a post on here were people had cut them up to make a poor man sidexside but can’t find it. Just looking for ideas. Figured it would be fun to drive an hopefully I could take it on some trails with brothers rzr. Plus I wouldn’t have much in it.

@paradisePWoffrd knows a lot about these rigs.

There are several good build threads of them in the Suzuki section on Pirate4x4.

I have always wanted to build one on the cheap like you are doing. Start a build thread.

What year and drivetrain does it have?

I had one going in that direction for a while:

full

full

I still have the chassis sitting in the barn, that I hope to put another drivetrain under one day.

As mentioned, there are a number of threads on P4x4 in the zuk section. Anything from full buggy to full body.

It really depends on what you want... if i were to start over, I would take the body off and tube out from the frame up.... I gutted the body as much as I could, and still leave it. The 1.6 8v with stock gears was anemic, but bearable on 30" tires. 34" tires it was a slug. I have a 2nd gen donor with a 2.0l and it has way more power than the 8v.

Also depends on your hopes for it... just to beat around the woods/dirt roads, itll do fine, stockish.... if you want to get in the rocks, SAS it. If you want to jump stuff, it has way to little power and too much front weight.

I really want to build one of these, but with two vehicles already apart, my wife would probably divorce me if I brought another one home and took it apart :lol:.

I really want to build one of these, but with two vehicles already apart, my wife would probably divorce me if I brought another one home and took it apart :lol:.
Don't tell her.
Just let it blend in with the other vehicle parts.
If she says anything, say, "Look honey, I made a new vehicle out of all those parts."

I use mine like a sxs. Bonus is that it’s tagged and insured so I can drive it to the gas station or feed store. I’d really like to put some nasty utv tires on it but they cost more than I’d like to spend. And it’s so light that I can’t seem to cause any wear on the ones on it. It’s for sale on here if anyone wants it.
9E31BFBE-1296-4F66-812B-C5692F335666.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd think that removing the windshield would be a notable weight reduction in these things.
After caging, of course, which is substantially more.

so, this has been floating around in my head lately as well.

with the growing popularity of SXSs and the every increasing places to ride those compared to the dwindling places to ride full size rigs its pretty clear that if i want to get serious about getting on the trails again i have to atleast consider a side by side.

that being said, how grey are the rules on what ATV parks call a side by side? i read in the hatfield rules you have to be able to produce an owners manual upon request. would a tracker UTV be able to sneak past?

with the growing popularity of SXSs and the every increasing places to ride those compared to the dwindling places to ride full size rigs its pretty clear that if i want to get serious about getting on the trails again i have to atleast consider a side by side.

Those are the main reasons I just picked one up. Far more opportunities for me to get out and riding a SXS versus driving or towing my old 1028 around. And this thing gets the adrenaline flowing!

Building it as a buggy, I wonder if you leave the lights, signals, windshield an whippers would it pass inspection?

This one is one of my favorite. Basically a tube chassis built on the factory frame.

2872569d1526219108-tracker-buggy-img_2441_1526219100695.jpg

I think you might could ride at UTV parks with something like this.... would be hard if it remotely looked like a vehicle. Might be a challenge at alot of places either way.

To get it to pass inspection, you would still need the VIN attached... but as long as you checked the boxes for required components, there should be no issues.

that being said, how grey are the rules on what ATV parks call a side by side? i read in the hatfield rules you have to be able to produce an owners manual upon request. would a tracker UTV be able to sneak past?

I asked this question to a few places in southside VA that allow UTV's and ATV's. The general concensus is if it looks like a tracker/samurai or any other mini 4x4 then you're probably gonna get told to FO because it starts that slippery slope of allowing all 4wd's. But something like what @paradisePWoffrd posted might squeak by since to the average guy, it just looks like a SxS buggy at first glance. But to be honest, for the investment to build one like that and make it ride worth a shit for SxS type riding, just buy a sport SxS.

Picked it up last night. It has a lot of rust but for what I’ll use it for it will be fine. It’s a 90 model so she was way off.
783ACC3E-2EE3-4D79-AF20-922E22874B0B.jpeg

Back