Getting in shape...

Cherokeekid88

So the wife and I have realized that we are in a slump. We go go go pretty much from the moment we get home from work. Dinner, homework, giving our daughter attention, bath all the house stuff, etc. throw in soccer and all the other fun things and by the time our daughter goes to bed, we are ready to sit back and relax, well that has caused us to be in a bit of a rut and have become out of shape and lacking energy and stamina. The wife wants to drop some pounds (her words, not mine) and I'd like to just get into a routine and become a bit more fit ( I'm a skinny guy with a little bit of a gut) and just overall have more energy and be healthy. at our disposal, we have a treadmill and a couple of weights out in the garage. I am looking for something that we can do together for a short period of time that isn't going to feel like such a chore. Signing up with a gym is out of the question because we just wouldn't go. The main thing I want for both of us is to adopt a healthier lifestyle as well as look and feel good, which also includes changing our diet. So what are some things you guys do that can be really beneficial without going in too hard and would help us ease into our goals.

- Go walking, hiking and bicycle riding as a family on the weekends and after work. Had my son in a seat on the back of my bike when he was 10 months old so the wife and I could still go riding, then a 'tag-a-long' bicycle, then finally on his own bicycle. He is 13 now and all three of us ride together regularly.
- Get up early and go for a walk or bicycle ride before work (buy a headlight for dark times of year)
- Get up early and lift weights in your garage before work
- Go for a walk during your lunch break. Does your work have a gym you could use during lunch?

Breakfast is oatmeal, eggs, OJ, and milk

I cook my lunch for the week on Sunday. Typically several chicken breasts and a big pot of rice or potatoes.

Dinner is whatever my wife cooks. She yypically cooks a large amount and we have leftovers for a few days.

- Go walking, hiking and bicycle riding as a family on the weekends and after work. Had my son in a seat on the back of my bike when he was 10 months old so the wife and I could still go riding, then a 'tag-a-long' bicycle, then finally on his own bicycle. He is 13 now and all three of us ride together regularly.
- Get up early and go for a walk or bicycle ride before work (buy a headlight for dark times of year)
- Get up early and lift weights in your garage before work
- Go for a walk during your lunch break. Does your work have a gym you could use during lunch?

Breakfast is oatmeal, eggs, OJ, and milk

I cook my lunch for the week on Sunday. Typically several chicken breasts and a big pot of rice or potatoes.

Dinner is whatever my wife cooks. She yypically cooks a large amount and we have leftovers for a few days.
No gym at my work.

Getting up early is a lot harder than doing it after work for us. I def want us to be walking every night if the weather permits, which we need to be doing anyways, but I also want to do something that is sort of low impact that is going to yield results but isn't going to feel like a challenge everyday. I guess cardio and weights are about where we are at least starting out. We've started down this journey before, but always end up stopping after a couple of weeks because life.

Dinner is where we struggle as well. Our daughter is just in that picky stage and is like pulling teeth to try and get her to try different things but we are slowly breaking her down. Also, my wife has diet restrictions that make it hard sometimes to fix just one meal every night.

What I really want is for my wife and I to just have this motivation to change our lifestyle and stick with it and let just be a new part of our lives.

Getting up early is a lot harder than doing it after work for us.
It takes some getting use to, but if you want to make a change the morning is the best time to get it done.

A lot of guys at my work walk during lunch. I do it too occasionally, but usually go to the gym.

Change is hard.
Life is hard.
Theme is common :D

Getting up early is a lot harder than doing it after work for us.
I've said this on here before, but - When my kids were three I was struggling trying to find a time in the day for 'me'. It was either stay up late or wake up early. If I stayed up late, my wife would inevitably want to stay up with me, and all of a sudden it wouldn't be 'me' time. So early it was. It was, and still is, hard for me to wake up early but I get a lot out of that time to myself.
I walk my dog for 45 minutes with a 30lb ruck pack (a simple plate pack) on which leads to me using it for other workouts while on my walk. I then either have time to work on my car, watch youtube, do whatever I want to do.
This has led my wife to waking up early and exercising as well (she does pure barre). We tried working out together but it just wasn't for us.

What I really want is for my wife and I to just have this motivation to change our lifestyle and stick with it and let just be a new part of our lives.
If you really want to change, you'll make the sacrifices.

Also. Take small bites at change. If you try to take on too much at once you will fail

I've said this on here before, but - When my kids were three I was struggling trying to find a time in the day for 'me'. It was either stay up late or wake up early. If I stayed up late, my wife would inevitably want to stay up with me, and all of a sudden it wouldn't be 'me' time. So early it was. It was, and still is, hard for me to wake up early but I get a lot out of that time to myself.
I walk my dog for 45 minutes with a 30lb ruck pack (a simple plate pack) on which leads to me using it for other workouts while on my walk. I then either have time to work on my car, watch youtube, do whatever I want to do.
This has led my wife to waking up early and exercising as well (she does pure barre). We tried working out together but it just wasn't for us.
I know this will probably sound really dumb but what does the ruck pack help you achieve? is it cardio i guess? I see a couple people around my neighborhood who run/walk with one.

I really want us to make it work this time and keep at it and have it become a habit. I also have realized that our daughter mimics what we do and I want us to set an example.

You don't need to look for motivation, more so you need to become disciplined. People get motivated to go to the gym on Jan. 1 and eventually will loose that motivation as life gets in the way or they get discouraged about their progress. That's why discipline is the only thing that will keep you going for the long haul. Once you've become disciplined, the distractions that pop up in life (like a bad nights sleep, work, sports, ect) will not affect you're daily routine to accomplish your task.

Why is working out in the mornings hard? are you doing other things at 5 am, or 4:30 am? Getting up early to work out is hard for everyone. From a quote I read "the call to remain complacent will only grow louder until you silence it with a pattern of behavior that leaves no doubt about your mission". Therefore get up, every day, at the same time and do something. You don't need to work out for hours, a high intensity work out for 20-30 mins is more than enough.

As far as working out. I've found that having an everyday pattern of first thing in the morning is best. Doesn't matter if its running, lifting, or even Yoga, the point is to work on something. I've also enjoyed the accountability of working out in small groups. F3 is a great organization (that's free) to go and work out in a group were you get that accountability of showing up even if its cold and raining on a Thursday morning.

It takes some getting use to, but if you want to make a change the morning is the best time to get it done.

A lot of guys at my work walk during lunch. I do it too occasionally, but usually go to the gym.

100% agree, now I row or mtb (on zwift when its winter) for 30-60 mins before starting work. I have started to really enjoy the early morning workouts.

I know this will probably sound really dumb but what does the ruck pack help you achieve? is it cardio i guess? I see a couple people around my neighborhood who run/walk with one.

I really want us to make it work this time and keep at it and have it become a habit. I also have realized that our daughter mimics what we do and I want us to set an example.
You keep mentioning 'us'. Don't wait on her or not do it because of her. Just start doing something. Ask her to join in. My wife and I and our son will all three walk, hike, and bike together, but I also do a LOT of solo workouts as does my wife.

Set the alarm 45 minutes earlier tomorrow morning and GET UP! Go do something. Ask her to join you.

Go for a walk tonight after work.

1709841263432.png

You keep mentioning 'us'. Don't wait on her or not do it because of her. Just start doing something. Ask her to join in. My wife and I and our son will all three walk, hike, and bike together, but I also do a LOT of solo workouts as does my wife.

Set the alarm 45 minutes earlier tomorrow morning and GET UP! Go do something. Ask her to join you.

Go for a walk tonight after work.
Def doing the walk tonight.
My wife and I like to help push each other but I understand not waiting around for someone else to get started on "you"
I just know this will benefit her as much as it will me and I think will also be good for our relationship and our mental health.

I'm going to very lazily copy/paste this from Michael Easter:

A friend recently asked me to help him with some exercise programming. He wanted to know how to exercise to perform at his best and not break Rule 2 (don’t die) while doing epic things outdoors. This requires a different approach than training to look good, get strong, or run far for the sake of it. We have to balance all sorts of critical skills like strength, endurance, mindset, and durability. His program included rucking—but not just the type you might imagine.

My views on rucking are evolving for the better. In my book, The Comfort Crisis, I largely explain rucking as the act of carrying weight in a backpack, or ruck.

Rucking is that. But I also see “rucking” as a sort of catch-all term that encompasses carrying something that weighs something from point A to B to improve your health and fitness or reach a goal. For example, carrying gear to the summit of a mountain or a mission point.

The weight could be in a backpack. But it could be held at your side, slung over your shoulder, bear-hugged, etc. It’s all rucking.

The human body is built to ruck, to carry weight over distance. That’s our killer app. We’re the only animals that can carry stuff far. As we evolved, we’d use this skill to hunt and gather, move resources, and bring tools into the unknown. For example, one archaeological site discovered that ancient humans carried 20-50 pound boulders and stones anywhere from 10 to 62 miles. Early humans had “a willingness to carry stone for hours,” wrote the researchers.

And this was consequential. It allowed us to expand as a species, construct structures and tools, fuel our expensive brains, and, eventually, take over the world.

Our ancestors no doubt invented crude, backpack-like systems to carry weight more efficiently (The Dawn of Everything is a fantastic if dense book that convinced me historians have misjudged just how brilliant and creative prehistoric humans were). But as far as I know, archaeologists haven’t unearthed, like, ancient Jansport Backpacks.

More often, we’d carry food, resources, and tools in all sorts of different positions.

Each carrying position offers unique benefits. They all work our body slightly differently. Traditional rucking with a backpack should be the foundation of rucking. But if we want to reap all the benefits rucking can deliver, we should mix it up sometimes. Carrying weight in different ways is the original total-body workout.

6 New Ways to Ruck​

Carrying weight at one side​

Gym example: Holding a dumbbell or kettlebell in one hand, a sandbag over your shoulder, a weight in one hand in the “racked” position (up close to your chest with your elbow bent).
Life example: Carrying a duffel bag or grocery basket in one hand at your side, a kid in one arm, having a backpack or duffel bag slung across one shoulder.
Benefit: The side opposite the weight has to work harder to stabilize your body as you walk. Research shows that this is killer for strengthening your core, helping you transfer energy to your legs (great for runners and ruckers!), and preventing and relieving back pain.

Carrying weight at both sides​

Workout example: Farmer walk, Rack walk
Life example: Carrying a duffel bag in one hand and briefcase in another, grocery bags in both hands, etc
Benefit: Allows you to use heavy weights and work all of your muscles at once. Perhaps the best exercise for building real-world strength. Especially grip strength—which is one of the best predictors of longevity. A recent review found that people with the strongest grips were 31 percent less likely to die over the study periods.

Carrying weight overhead​

Workout example: Overhead walk, waiter walk
Life example: Moving something on a high shelf, Waiting tables, etc.
Benefit: Forces you to stabilize your core and shoulders. This carry is uniquely good for building strong and durable shoulders (shoulders are one of the joints people injure most).

Carrying weight in front of you​

Workout example: Bear hug walk, Zercher walk, etc
Life example: Carrying a heavy bag of dog food or mulch, carrying a box, carrying your kid in a sling or pack at your front, etc
Benefit: Works your biceps and/or all the muscles behind you—the ones you can’t see. Your back, butt, hamstrings, etc. These muscles are often neglected, but they’re arguably most important for sports and outdoor activities.

Carrying weight between your legs​

Workout example: Kettlebell or sandbag duck walk, (I’d even count sled pushes or pulls here)
Life Example: Basically moving anything really heavy, like a super heavy box or bag of mulch, dragging or pushing anything.
Benefit: Works your entire lower body and core. It teaches you to “brace” your upper body and use each leg to drive forward or backward. The aforementioned review discovered that people with stronger legs were 14 percent less likely to die during the study periods.

Carrying weight at your back​

Workout example: Rucking for fitness, slinging a sandbag across your shoulders
Life example: Walking with a backpack, giving your child a piggyback, or carrying them in a kid carrier.
Benefit: All the benefits of regular rucking, which we've covered at length.

Here’s a quick video I made that shows all of these.

The aforementioned review on gym carries like the suitcase carry and farmer’s walk found that anywhere from 3 to 5 sets between 25 to 200 yards each was a sweet spot.

One of my favorite workouts is to pick a distance—say, one or two miles—and grab a weight (usually a sandbag) and get it from point A to B. Along the way, I’ll move the weight into a lot of different positions. For example, I might start with it on my right shoulder. When that gets tired, I’ll move it to my left shoulder. Then bear hug it. Then carry it like a suitcase on my right side. Then left side. Then toss it across my back. You get the point.

But the gym stuff is easy to dream up. How can we flow more different types of carrying into our everyday life? That’s the critical question. Being a 2-Percenter is all about taking opportunities to make everyday life a bit more challenging. The benefits pile up to something powerful.

• Ditch the cart. If you’re only getting a handful of groceries, use a basket. If you’re picking up dog food or mulch, sling it over your shoulder or bear hug it.
  • Ditch the wheel bag. I travel with a ruck and/or a duffel bag. Any trip requires a lot of carrying. Truth told it is **so much** easier to navigate an airport and new city without a wheel bag.
  • Ditch the stroller. Carry your child (in your arm(s), in a pack). Research shows that this improves bonds between the parent and child.
  • Deliver manually. If you ever have to bring something to someone, resist the urge to drive. For example, let’s say your neighbor needs to borrow a weed whacker. Walk it over.
Finally, here are a few quick tips to carry well:

-Keep your back straight. Pretend you’re doing a “plank” as you walk.

-Keep your ribs flat and chin tucked or level. Some people “flare” their ribs out or crane their neck upward. Avoid that. Your back and neck will be better for it, and you’ll breathe easier.

Def doing the walk tonight.
My wife and I like to help push each other but I understand not waiting around for someone else to get started on "you"
I just know this will benefit her as much as it will me and I think will also be good for our relationship and our mental health.
Just tell her its exercise or butt stuff 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♀️

Weight in the back pack increases your heart rate and makes your legs and core stronger. I do it sometimes with just my regular hiking back pack. I take 2 or 3 ten lb plates and wrap them in a beach towel and put them in my back pack.

At the risk of offending our few female members...I think as the husband in a relationship we are called to lead our family and lead by example.
When I was where you are I started the habit and brought the kiddo along. I asked the wife to join. If she wanted to great, if not I did it anyway.

To me I am called to set the example I want them to follow. Even if they dont follow 1) I did my part and 2) I'm better for it.
The biggest thing with kids is make it fun. 'Let's walk up to the park and swing for a bit' 'Let's walk down to the pond and fish' 'Lets walk and see the cows'.

Make the walk secondary to the goal. Kids dont have the aversion to movement so many adults do. If there is a reward at the end (and side note NEVER make the reward food-dont create that relationship with food fatal flaw) the kids wont even think about the movement and the unconscuious good habits they are building.

Probably not what you are looking for but my wife joined this group on FB. E2M. The guy that started it just retired from the army I believe it was. It was a one time fee to join the private group. I pick on her and call it her fitness cult. They have all kinds of coaches that post daily workout videos and yoga and palates and meal plans for the week. She's lost over 60 lbs and by her specific meal plan I have to eat for dinner I dropped 25 or 30. The E2M stands for Eager 2 Motivate and they really do try and motivate. I've sat down and done some workout's with her. It's surprised the hell out of me on how effective it has been. They run 8 week rounds I believe it is.

What are you doing then? Sitting on your ass and watching TV for an hour? Do it on the treadmill instead. One hour, zone two, three to four days a week.
X2

During bad weather or whatever I will turn on an episode of Vice Grip Garage and walk on the treadmill or ride the stationary bike. My wife will watch house flipper fixer upper shows while exercising.

Just tell her its exercise or butt stuff 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♀️
this took to long......one post down I was thinking of running in place under the sheets..:)

I was doing the F3 til my knee said to much. I felt good but it really impacted my energy reserves. For me the workouts left me with little left over after trying to earn a living. Flat exhausted was the level of energy by Friday.

I've ramped up my work pace for the last month. Sore and tired. You fellas working out and being able to maintain it consistently impress me. Or is it just the nature of the methods of earning a living? I often feel flat lazy when I here about how a lot of you are able to work out, earn a living, and still maintain hobbies.

The other side of this observation is my down time is literally down, as in do near dang nothin. However my work week may and often includes light farm work, bee box juggling, and garden tiller wrestling.

this took to long......one post down I was thinking of running in place under the sheets..:)

I was doing the F3 til my knee said to much. I felt good but it really impacted my energy reserves. For me the workouts left me with little left over after trying to earn a living. Flat exhausted was the level of energy by Friday.

I've ramped up my work pace for the last month. Sore and tired. You fellas working out and being able to maintain it consistently impress me. Or is it just the nature of the methods of earning a living? I often feel flat lazy when I here about how a lot of you are able to work out, earn a living, and still maintain hobbies.

The other side of this observation is my down time is literally down, as in do near dang nothin. However my work week may and often includes light farm work, bee box juggling, and garden tiller wrestling.
This has always been my way of staying relatively fit. I'm fortunate to have a job that keeps me moving and doing stuff, but isn't back breaking. I get in 15-20k steps a day at work, and climb stairs for a living. Then come home and do farm work or shoot my bow or wrestle the kids (talk about cardio!). I don't stop going until we eat supper, then it's showers and bed. When I'm not on a site, I typically walk or jog in the mornings, just to stay active.

You fellas working out and being able to maintain it consistently impress me. Or is it just the nature of the methods of earning a living? I often feel flat lazy when I here about how a lot of you are able to work out, earn a living, and still maintain hobbies.
I'd wager your work lifestyle has you moving around quite a lot and already getting a lot of exercise, plus on top of your hobbies and home activities also being very active. That makes a huge difference.
A lot folks - and IIRC @Cherokeekid88 is in this category - have careers where the daily work is mostly just sitting.
This means that they have to find extra time outside of career time for exercie that you don't necessarily need.

This thread got long really quick and I haven't read everything, but IMO for @Cherokeekid88 or anyone else, it would be veru infromative as a start to get a watch or other device that tracks steps and ideally heart rate and heart rate variable (HRV). Almost anything does it now. See what your daily routine has you at today, that will tell you how much more you should be doing. Its a really gross measure, but you can do a lot for your health by just doing more walking etc. Ideally getting 10k steps daily, but even 7-8 isn't a bad start if you have a mostly sit-in-a-chair career and lifestyle.

Back