Getting in shape...

Just get yourself another kid. They get heavier as time goes on, so you level up nice and gently.
Heads up, it gets a little challenging around the age of 13 or so though

Talk to me about rucking…
Is it just walking with a backpack?

I keep hearing about it…and it seems like walking with a weight vest or backpack.

I need something lower impact than running. My body is prepared to carry extra weight around - it’s used to it - so if I can low impact and get exercise and not have to buy a bike like @Jody Treadway and crush my taint…might give it a try
I don’t get too scientific about it. It’s just walking around with weight on your back. Burns more calories, challenges your legs a bit more on the hills. It’s definitely lower impact than running and that’s one reason I enjoy it. Running just makes my knees hurt.

There are companies that make weighted vests and backpacks with removable weighted plates for this, but they are stupid expensive for what they are. For the same money, you can buy an actual backpack and some backpacking gear and use it in the outdoors.

One full lap around my neighborhood is 1.5 miles and it has some low grade hills. It takes me about 35 minutes to do a lap. I’ll do 1 or 2 laps a couple times per week, depending on how much time I have. If I’m getting ready for a backpacking trip, I’ll do it daily for a couple weeks prior to.

I don’t get too scientific about it. It’s just walking around with weight on your back. Burns more calories, challenges your legs a bit more on the hills. It’s definitely lower impact than running and that’s one reason I enjoy it. Running just makes my knees hurt.
This. I wanted more than 'just' a walk, but running kills my knees. I do take my pack off and carry it in different positions just to get a more full body workout while walking my dog.

There are companies that make weighted vests and backpacks with removable weighted plates for this, but they are stupid expensive for what they are. For the same money, you can buy an actual backpack and some backpacking gear and use it in the outdoors
I used an old North Face bag for a while but all the straps and whatnot really annoyed me. Eventually the plastic strap adjusters broke (it was really old) and I ended up buying just a plate pack from GoRuck because it is very slim and wasn't as expensive as all the other packs I saw, including the amazon packs.

Talk to me about rucking…
Is it just walking with a backpack?

I keep hearing about it…and it seems like walking with a weight vest or backpack.

I need something lower impact than running. My body is prepared to carry extra weight around - it’s used to it - so if I can low impact and get exercise and not have to buy a bike like @Jody Treadway and crush my taint…might give it a try
Definitely give it a shot! The backpack/vest you pick can make a huge difference in comfort. I went with the 20L GoRuck but probably should've sized down with my height 🫤

Back