getting the grease home

orange150

i am planning on using a single chamber tank for my grease and not a Nomad type system where one side is a holding tank. We have a 150 and 300 gallon tank i can use to store grease, i was thinking of making a trailer around one of them or just purchasing an old military tank trailer (saw two for sale near boone) and just toting that to where ever i get my grease filling it up and then just keeping it in the driveway and filling up off of that. my dad however thought that having another trailer for that isn't the best idea. how are yall getting grease home and holding it and what are some other good ideas.

I have a 30 gal poly barrel with a locking lid. they are lite and easy to handle. I am going to make a place to hold it better in the bed. but so far it works real good. What I do is stop buy my source once or twice week and then empty it in to a large storage drum in the shop.

i was thinking something like this
4677.gif
but not as huge to pull to where ever i get my grease from. I figure i could just mount the dual action pump on that and then park it in the driveway until it needs a refil. but i am having a hard time locating something like it. except for the two i saw in Boone, but i didnt have a chance to enquire about them.

If i were hauling dirty unfiltered grease around, id want it in a small trailer. A simple single axle trailer would hold a lot of weight and be easier to deal with.. So when you come home in the winter and its dark at 4:30 be nice to just back in and unhook the grease tank.. Definitly cut down on the effort to transfer it via jugs..

Why not a old oil drum or even barrels on a small utility trailer? Like an old S-10 bed made into a trailer.

i was thinking that i could find an old military trailer like that for about $400, but the only one i even saw like that for sale was for $800 and in washington state or somewhere like that. bah, ill figure something out... soon i hope

so how much grease do you want to haul around.
If you want to use a trailer I woul just make a simple trainler that would hold a 55 gal drum and the just get a storage tank for the rest.

well we have a 250 gal tank we used for fuel a long time ago that my dad said i could use as a holding tank, so i was thinking i might be able to make a trailer around that, or find a utility trailer that fits the deminsions of it. I just think it would be a lot easier towing the big tank to get grease then just not worring about it for a few weeks untill it gets empty.

One of the issues you will have using your storage as your collection is, you really want to let the grease sit for a couple of weeks. Best recomendations I've seen is to get some sort of tank, paint it black and set it in the sun. The sun will heat the tank (and the grease) and the time will allow it to settle out. Never pump the bottom couple of inches or pump right off the top (slime at top, sludge and water at bottom). Occasionally rinse the tank, cleaning out the bottom. If you use your holding tank as your collection tank (on a trailer) you will have a couple of weeks that you 'shouldn't' use your grease because the ride home will stir up the contaminants.

Back