Giant mosquitoes

Silverado_Express

Anyone else having a shit ton of them giant mosquitoes all of a sudden? I have been in my house since 2012 and have never seen them like this/ or at all. They are out all hours of the day and seem to love the exterior walls of the shop (better than the house I suppose) but I even noticed them in the yard as I was mowing this afternoon. Wondering if it because we got shafted on a winter this year.
In any case, anyone have a good remedy for them? No tires or standing water around, neighbors grass stays kinda tall but not terrible or that close.

We have them here too. They fly up into our faces in the evenings when we take the kids for our daily walk thru the neighborhood after dinner.

Attachments

• 15862180340495595541523295017708.jpg
    15862180340495595541523295017708.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 146
Yeah haven't been more than just a nuisance flying at your face, coming in the shop when the doors open, etc. Just seems to be more than I remember seeing before. Wondered if anyone had any science factoids about them or why they are out so strong this year. Guess it's better than the locust that Africa is getting

We leave yellow bulb lights on all night long at our house. When I walk out at 6am they’re all over the porch. Noticed many flying out of bushes I made contact with while mowing. I don’t remember seeing them this bad either.

Yep. Did some reading today. They’re called crane flies, or nicknamed mosquito hawks. They don’t bite, they’re not big mosquitos, and they don’t eat mosquitos. All of which I had thought until today lol.

Apparently they start out as larva shallow in the soil and then turn to what we see. That’s why I can walk thru my yard and see dozens and dozens of them fly up.

I reckon that there’s an abundance this year much like cycles of lady bugs, and stink bugs and such that for whatever reason some seasons have way more.

I literally have thousands of them all over my yard, and house. It’s nuts.

Last edited:
First time I have noticed them as well. Lots of them!

Up here we don’t have them that bad, but flies, them SOB’s are EVERYWHERE swarming almost. You can see them through the grass. I’ve never seen them this bad.

Yep. Did some reading today. They’re called crane flies, or nicknamed mosquito hawks. They don’t bite, they’re not big mosquitos, and they don’t eat mosquitos. All of which I had thought until today lol.

Apparently they start out as larva shallow in the soil and then turn to what we see. That’s why I can walk thru my yard and see dozens and dozens of them fly up.

I reckon that there’s an abundance this year much like cycles of lady bugs, and stink bugs and such that for whatever reason some seasons have way more.

I literally have thousands of them all over my yard, and house. It’s nuts.

But are they as scary as sprickets? :flipoff2:

But are they as scary as sprickets? :flipoff2:

Them SOBs get me every time. I HATE spiders with a firey rage filled passion, and have jumped out of my skin over a few sprickets.

Them SOBs get me every time. I HATE spiders with a firey rage filled passion, and have jumped out of my skin over a few sprickets.

Those things are terrifying! When I did mold remediation, I was removing the insulation from under a house and I pulled a piece back and there was literally HUNDREDS of them and they all came raining down jumping all over me. I was under there flopping like a fish, screaming in my respirator and Tyvek suit, nearly knocked myself out hitting my head. It was the worst day of my life.

Back