"Glamping" sites in/around Asheville and Myrtle Beach?

ManglerYJ

I just bought a new-to-me camper and want to take a couple smaller trips to get myself familiar with the camper, how it pulls, setup/knockdown, etc. before we take a big trip with it in April to go to Disney. My wife is very particular and only agreed to get a camper after seeing how nice the bathhouses were at Disney's Fort Wilderness campgrounds. I did tell her that Fort Wilderness is like the gold standard, but I would shoot for similar accommodations elsewhere.

We are looking to take an Asheville/Biltmore trip just before Christmas and a Myrtle Beach weekend around MLK day. Looking for recommendations for campgrounds in those areas with full hookups, 30 amp service and decent, clean bathhouses. Even though we are hooking up, we don't plan to shower in camper (8 gallon hot water heater will make for super-quick-only-if-you-have-to showers).

Also, while I'm at it, I'll ask for a recommendation on a good dinner spot in Asheville area.

It's hard to trust reviews online anymore, so I tend to ask folks I know instead.

Take her to Carolina Pines in Conway, SC. Short drive down to Myrtle Beach. She’ll have a new “gold standard” after she sees that place.

Edit: Restaurant in Asheville- hit up Packs Tavern. The wife and I both loved it.

Not sure how fancy the accommodations are, but the wife's parents stayed here and enjoyed it, and they are pretty picky. View of mountains and French Broad River is second to none.

Even though we are hooking up, we don't plan to shower
Quoted for use out of context later :laughing:

I just bought a new-to-me camper and want to take a couple smaller trips to get myself familiar with the camper, how it pulls, setup/knockdown, etc. before we take a big trip with it in April to go to Disney. My wife is very particular and only agreed to get a camper after seeing how nice the bathhouses were at Disney's Fort Wilderness campgrounds. I did tell her that Fort Wilderness is like the gold standard, but I would shoot for similar accommodations elsewhere.

We are looking to take an Asheville/Biltmore trip just before Christmas and a Myrtle Beach weekend around MLK day. Looking for recommendations for campgrounds in those areas with full hookups, 30 amp service and decent, clean bathhouses. Even though we are hooking up, we don't plan to shower in camper (8 gallon hot water heater will make for super-quick-only-if-you-have-to showers).

Also, while I'm at it, I'll ask for a recommendation on a good dinner spot in Asheville area.

It's hard to trust reviews online anymore, so I tend to ask folks I know instead.
I can't give you any advice on the camping, but I can definitely advise on the Asheville food. What are you looking for? Seafood, BBQ, steak, etc?

What kinda food you looking for?

The Menu at Pack's Tavern looks really good. That's the kind of place we like to go to. Not too pricey, but good local food.

Looks like we are going to try the KOA in Swannanoa. That trip will mostly be spent at Biltmore, so I'm not too worried about more limited fun stuff for the kids to do, but Carolina Pines will be more for the kids to have fun at as well as hitting the outlet mall.

The Menu at Pack's Tavern looks really good. That's the kind of place we like to go to. Not too pricey, but good local food.

Looks like we are going to try the KOA in Swannanoa. That trip will mostly be spent at Biltmore, so I'm not too worried about more limited fun stuff for the kids to do, but Carolina Pines will be more for the kids to have fun at as well as hitting the outlet mall.
Pack's is good. If you want a good burger, go to Juicy Lucy's. It's just down the road from Biltmore. 12 Bones or Bears for BBQ. Ole's or Papas and Beer if you want Mexican. Surf and Brew for seafood.

I believe I would swap for a propane instant heater so you can enjoy your own shower.

If that’s the same KOA as the one in Black Mountain, I’ve probably stayed there 6 or 7 times for Spartan events and long weekend getaways. I wouldn’t call it glamping but bathrooms were clean, easy access to Black Mtn and a little longer drive to Asheville.

Or RV has a 6 gallon electric/propane water heater and if we want to take showers 5-10 minutes apart we kick it over to propane and have no issues with 10 minute showers. If only on electric 20-30 minutes between showers and you are good.

Mine does run on propane or electric, so that should work. Hadn't thought about that.

If that’s the same KOA as the one in Black Mountain, I’ve probably stayed there 6 or 7 times for Spartan events and long weekend getaways. I wouldn’t call it glamping but bathrooms were clean, easy access to Black Mtn and a little longer drive to Asheville.

There are two KOA's near Asheville, one East and one West. It looks like the East one (the one we are staying at in Swannanoa) is the one in Black Mountain. As long as the bathrooms are clean, we should be good.

I just want ones with full hookups. I'm too lazy/used to creature comforts like A/C to remote camp.

Any of the big campgrounds at South Myrtle keep the stuff pretty cleaned up. You'll have the occasional Ass hat or teenager. Upon notified they get it staightened out pretty quick.

To be honest the people I work with are hands down nastier than any campground public shower house I've ever been in.

I dig mostly parklands, federal, or smaller private camps these days. But will occasionally hide out at Myrtle. I prefer Huntington Beach, Lakewood, Pirate Land, and Ocean Lakes......in that specific order.
You will burn your ass up in the summer at Huntington though. No breeze they have a natural berm between you and the beach. No view directly to the ocean either.....

It looks like the East one (the one we are staying at in Swannanoa) is the one in Black Mountain.

This is one of my favorite campgrounds in the area. It will be the only one I use for Ashville trips anymore. Absolutely wonderful campground. Great staff and good people. The bathhouse is nice because it has toilet and shower combos instead of shower stalls. Feels much more private and very nice. Its a little out of the hustle and bustle of Ashville, but that's one of the things I like. Its less than 15 minutes to Biltmore or any of touristy things up there.

Take her to Carolina Pines in Conway, SC. Short drive down to Myrtle Beach. She’ll have a new “gold standard” after she sees that place.

Edit: Restaurant in Asheville- hit up Packs Tavern. The wife and I both loved it.
I've heard great things about Carolina Pines.

Back