GM integrated trailer brake controller problem

Paul

Dr 'Dre
The facts. My dic started showing "service trailer brake system" a couple of weeks ago and it will lose trailer brakes at the same time. Key off and then back will clear it for awhile but it always comes back. Scanned it and have replaced the brake light switch and harness, controller relay and m/c pressure switch. Still not fixed. All signs point to the controller module being bad. Big money part plus GM has to program it. Fuck that. How hard would it be to bypass that shit and hook up a Prodigy?

I'm leaving for Sparta next week and this damn thing is driving me crazy.
Specs,
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 c/c dually, 4x4 Dmax, just turned 100k miles.
TIA!
Paul...

Last edited:
Have you towed a different trailer to make sure the problem is not in the trailer wiring? My truck went nuts towing my brothers trailer because of a bad ground.

Have you towed a different trailer to make sure the problem is not in the trailer wiring? My truck went nuts towing my brothers trailer because of a bad ground.

Forgot to mention that it does this without a trailer hooked up also.

Seems overly sensitive or complicated @Paul
If it were me and I lost confidence in the OEM controller, I'd be soldering in 4 wires from an old school controller and lettin it eat.

Installing a Prodigy in the morning. Soldered electrical connections are overrated.
Wire nuts and tape are where its at!

NOT...
LOL!

Installing a Prodigy in the morning. Soldered electrical connections are overrated.
Wire nuts and tape are where its at!

NOT...
LOL!
I hate wire nuts. Just twist the wires together and cover them in duct tape

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Man you guys are living in yesterday with the wire nuts and duck tape.
They have these connectors now called
"Scotch or Screwyou loc" man those things are the best. All the hacks are using them. Tech tip, install them where they can't be seen but still attract moisture, that make it fun for the next guy!

Good luck on the repair @Paul brake problems suck when towing to and from where we choose to play.

It's usually the big cannon connection behind the rear bumper or the back of the receptacle; corrosion...

Never been a fan of the factory controllers, always too slow to ramp up. Not enough gain adjustment. Go prodigy brother

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's usually the big cannon connection behind the rear bumper or the back of the receptacle; corrosion...

Never been a fan of the factory controllers, always too slow to ramp up. Not enough gain adjustment. Go prodigy brother

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stand alone brake controller installed and functioning correctly. Do you approve?

Back