Gmc 1500

Down&Dirty

So it is finally time to break down and get a tow rig and a daily driver. I have been looking at the diesel 1500 4x4 around a 95. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any good and bad things going on? How are the engines?

your looking at a 6.5 TD, in general not a bad engine, but prone to head gasket issues and injection pump problems.

Look for a 2500 most of those will be non EGR and no catalytic converter ( the 1500s will have them ) in the diesels. ( look at the VIN, 8th digit will be an "S" for EGR/CAT and "F" for non, look for an "F" engine.

The newer you can find with the 6.5, the better off you are, as they will have a 120k, 11yr warranty on the injection pump, the engines are 5yr 100k. so most all engines are out of warranty now.

Truthfully, you'd be better off looking for a Dmax, 'Stroke, or CTD, the 6.5 wasn't a power house by any means.

you are looking at $1600 for a new injection pump plus install( 5 hours), and around $9500 for a 6.5 crate engine if you need to go that direction after purchase.

check oil cooler lines for leakage at crimps (driver side of engine/rad) and the cooling system for bubbles/ coolant level.

Kevin

Thanks. What are some other good models to go after? With all the trade ins for people going after employee pricing the dealerships are cutting some great deals on used cars. This won't do tons of towing, but I want a diesel to give me the option of going bio when I can. Not to mention they are just better for trucks. I am really thinking about an extended or crewcab, with 4x4. The mid 90s gmc are running around 8k before haggling. I am trying to keep it under 10k to keep my payments reasonable.

Kilby, Clearly you do not have my debt to income ratio. I wish I could afford something in the 02 range. Much less an 06. I consider a car to be new if it was built after I graduated high school. :p Maybe once I get a new job I can afford a better tow rig, but for now I need something to get to and from the trail.

I hear ya! My debt to income ratio is probly worse than yours tho... been unemployed for WAY too long. :lol: I just figured I'd throw out an option. I'm still looking around for something cheaper for ya. If I find it, you'll hear from me. Diesel p/u's are the hot ticket around here these days.

Good luck! :D

Yeah, everyone keeps telling me to look at a gas motor, but I want diesel. They keep saying that the gas will make a better DD. Problem with that is that I know a few people with biodiesel reactors, and if I can ever get somewhere where the homeowners association won't kill me I will build my own. With everything doing what it is doing in the world, some homemade gas and beer sound like a hot ticket.

Well broke down and picked up a diesel 2500 today. It is in pretty good shape, unfortunatly a catalytic model. But the price was right and so was the timing. I can't get rid of the death wobble in my tj so I needed something to drive. Can't complain when you get a turbo diesel tow rig for under 7k that is in good shape with an electronic brake controller. Hopefully I can get it really cleaned up and get a little more power out of it. No intercooler and I can't even see a way to route it for one. It would be a great addition.

Back