GMRS Radio's

FWIW, I use a speaker-mic with jack for earphones/earpiece while hunting with my buddy who is also a ham to talk on our HTs. Have used it on a mini bike and in the truck, but never a buggy.

Hell I have been contemplating one for driving to and from the trails in the Tacoma.
I've used it before on the road just to be able to ride with the windows down on the interstate for prolonged periods of time. Makes it much more pleasurable. Seriously one of the best things I've gotten.

I liked it so much I got a bluetooth intercom for my wife and I for mountain bike riding.

I've used it before on the road just to be able to ride with the windows down on the interstate for prolonged periods of time. Makes it much more pleasurable. Seriously one of the best things I've gotten.

I liked it so much I got a bluetooth intercom for my wife and I for mountain bike riding.
Is it easy to pipe music in through the system?

Maybe this should become a seperate thread. I am interested in how to piece together an intercom system that will integrate music, and allow driver, copilot, and other rigs to talk. Esp if it can be done without buying an expensive RR setup.

@upnover could probly move the intercom talk to another thread.

Maybe this should become a seperate thread. I am interested in how to piece together an intercom system that will integrate music, and allow driver, copilot, and other rigs to talk. Esp if it can be done without buying an expensive RR setup.

@upnover could probly move the intercom talk to another thread.
I started to get some education, and even though all the responses are not exactly on topic, it is related and I won't be the only one to learn something. Win Win, gonna leave it all together

Is it easy to pipe music in through the system?

Esp if it can be done without buying an expensive RR setup.

I researched these for a long time. I ended up getting PRP's portable intercom.

I picked it because I wanted to be able to use it in the rzr, toyota, or whatever I needed. Before I fixed the a/c in the black dodge I would throw it in the consloe and wear the headsets for running on the interstate with the windows down. It runs off 2 9 volt batteries or a 12 volt outlet. I chose it over others because it automatically lowers the aux input when you speak and raises it when its quiet. Its also easy to tie into a baofeng with optional cord. I watched it for a while and RR put it on sale and I snagged it. Been happy with it.

I picked up these headsets

Amazon product ASIN B0147PVPAW
I do not recommend them. The mic is terrible and had to be replaced. By the time you do that the more expensive headsets are a better deal. One thing I don't like about the whole thing is the connectors RR chose to use. Its a Mini 5 pin XLR. I made my own cords because I refuse to pay 100 bucks for some damn cords. Was alot harder than I figured.

Last edited:
After all that, I would recommend an aviation intercom. Cheaper to put together and pretty much as good. Its a little more difficult to tie into a communication radio but doable.

Rugged makes aviation headsets too. Or you can watch ebay and find some older used headsets cheap.

Amazon product ASIN B00768A3TW
The best thing about aviation headsets are the cords are built in. I'm still not over making those damn cords. I think I'm on my third set.

Just paid the license fee for my GMRS license. Should have a call in a couple days.

Yes, I'll still be using my UV5R :cool:

And for $20-$30/radio you can buy the Baofeng UV-5R V3 which is locked but the factory reset is a 3 key power on combination (PTT - VFO-Monitor while turning the radio on) and the radio stays permanently unlocked.
Just tried it on mine, doesn't work.

Just paid the license fee for my GMRS license. Should have a call in a couple days.

Yes, I'll still be using my UV5R :cool:

Got my call. WRXF938

Bringing this back from hospice (I'm not considering one year old dead yet :laughing:)

I was looking for a handheld VHF on the interwebs and this thing keeps popping up, probably mostly due to an algorithm.
Is it worth my time in buying this and figuring it out, or should I just buy an off the shelf Cobra/Uniden/Standard Horizon and be done? It seems like it would be nice to have one radio that could do VHF and GMRS, especially for $65 instead of two different $100+ radios.

Bringing this back from hospice (I'm not considering one year old dead yet :laughing:)

I was looking for a handheld VHF on the interwebs and this thing keeps popping up, probably mostly due to an algorithm.
Is it worth my time in buying this and figuring it out, or should I just buy an off the shelf Cobra/Uniden/Standard Horizon and be done? It seems like it would be nice to have one radio that could do VHF and GMRS, especially for $65 instead of two different $100+ radios.
Not much to figure out really. Buy it and get a cable. Program with CHIRP and roll on. Will do VHF, UHF, and GMRS.

Meh... for your intended use, buy the UV-5R 2pk. and have a spare/share...
Not much to figure out really. Buy it and get a cable. Program with CHIRP and roll on. Will do VHF, UHF, and GMRS.
Just that simple...

Back