GMT900 Suburban

NCJeeplover

I know we have a thread about the 2500 Suburban's, but this is a little different situation.

My wife has been driving an Excursion for the last 11 years. I'm looking to upgrade her to something a little more modern. Looking for something that I can work on myself, cheap to maintain and get another 10-11 years out of. She like the size of the Excursion so the only thing newer that would match is the Suburban.

I'm looking at 2007-2008 GMT900's half ton. I have a tow rig so no need for the three quarter ton. The main reason for the 2007-2008 models is the 4L65e trans. Too many horror stories about the 6 speeds and they seem to be pretty expensive to replace. I figure with a 5.3 and 4L65e they would be pretty cheap to replace if needed.

What do I need to look for when shopping? I have around a 10k budget and looking for one with less than 200k miles. Seems reasonable. I would prefer 2wd just for easier maintenance. I have a 4wd when needed.

2007 is the first year of AFM... just a warning.

I'd looked for a 2005-2006 honestly but I'm a little biased.

2007 is the first year of AFM... just a warning.
I'm not afraid of replacing lifters and cam if needed down the road. As long as I can catch it before it destroys a motor.

I'd looked for a 2005-2006 honestly but I'm a little biased.
I tried like hell to talk her into a GMT800. Even found a couple nice Escalade's. She would have nothing of it. lol

If your wife is uneducated enough to write off GMT800s....then dang

I'd just get the newest GMT900 with good service history. Tahoe, Sub, or Escalade.

2013ish they figured out the cause of AFM failures and lowered the instances of failures.

Back