Good place to get my big truck aligned/front-end work? (Raleigh/Durham)

thecarman

My 79 chevy 4WD long-bed crew-cab (4-door) single-rear-wheel pickup needs an alignment and maybe the king pins serviced/replaced in the front axle.

Any recommendations for a GOOD shop where I can get this done in the Raleigh/Durham area?

I don't have time right now to do the king pins myself if it turns out to need them. It would be so nice to drop this truck off somewhere and then pick it up all fixed and not have to worry about the quality of the work. I don't want to make multiple trips back to the same place.

The place needs to have an alignment rack long enough to handle my truck, which means 14-15 feet at least.

Thanks!
Richard

I just had my Dodge done right off 751 & 64.

Can't remember the name, but a real nice guy, and they have mechanics that work there.. not Jiffy lube rejects.

Go 751 south, hit 64, and take a right. Take the first right after that (just after the place with the trailers).. Go down about 500 feet, and you'll see a large metal building on the right. Take the second entrance. Gravel driveway.. The guy lives in the house nearby.

Thanks Rich!

What all work did he do for your Dodge?

That would be really convenient - like 5 miles from my house. :)

He just did the alignment...

55 automotive does the work I don't do (mostly because I know the owner, and they're trustworthy). (Like rear brakes on the tow rig - I HATE DRUM BRAKES!!!)

55 is top notch, but they're not terribly cheap on labor.

Do you think I should take it to 55 automotive to have them check out the front-end and do any necessary work first?

Or should I let this alignment place do the work? It sounds like they might be worth a shot - you said the mechanics seemed good... but I don't want anything screwed up... :)

It's a kingpin.. what could they screw up?

Honestly, I'd have no problem letting them do it. 55 auto are the ones who told me about them for my alignment, because his rack can't do my truck.

Poe's automotive, on Bob Horton Rd.

362-6591

Thanks again Rich. I dropped it off there last night. They'll align it and check for anything loose in the front end. Will let you know how it goes. (I checked steering joints and kingpins when I had the front jacked up, and couldn't find any play)

Installed my H2 wheels/tires yesterday evening, and it made a huge difference over the old tires (old rears were bald, old fronts were very feathered on inside edge). Hopefully with an alignment, I'll be good to go for a while...

Got the truck back last night. They said the toe was way wrong, and they fixed that. They couldn't find any loose parts in the front supension or steering, so I'm happy.

I definitely recommend this place - you're right Rich - they are real mechanics.

I also liked the fact that they gave compliments on the CTD swap. :) Wish I could take credit for it.

Will see if I get any front-end shake when towing this weekend. Unloaded, the truck is much smoother and quieter with the new tires, and tracks better with the alignment fixed.

No more front-end shake for me! Got to tow some cars last night thanks to Ken. :) I get no more death-wobble at the top of 3rd gear, or at about 20 mph when braking.

It must have been the screwed-up front tires. I didn't realize how lumpy they were on the inside edge until I took them off. The truck is real smooth now. What a difference some new BFG AT's can make. :)

And going to 35's from 33's with the 4.10 gears - the truck cruises nicely now, doesn't scream on the highway. I just have to get used to shifting later. No more 5th gear pulling the trailer in a 45mph zone. :driver:

Would eventually like to lower the truck 2-3 inches, and the 35s will still fit with minor trimming of the lower corners of the front wheel openings. But that is on hold indefinitely until I get all my junk moved to my new place and get some other vehicle maintenance out of the way.

Back